Chapter 22

"Bye, Aunt Faiza. I promise to call you everyday. Thanks again for everything. I couldn't have done this without you." Naima thanked her.

Her dad had agreed to let her go to Boston as long as it was under the scholarship for the four years.

Naima did some research on the scholarship scheme she was under and found out the foundation who were behind it was a foundation created by an old rich woman who wanted to use her money for good.

At least that's what google said and that's what the Chancellor of Boston University said when she inquired. He had been rather hesitant to give her any further information.

How they got Naima's information, she would never know. They said something about it being scouting the country for smart students and she was just lucky to get it. Naima was smart, yes but she wouldn't say she was a genius.
She had however stopped asking any more questions and just thanked Allah for her good fortune.

Aunt Faiza had come with her all the way from Wyoming. She had said since it was Naima's first time going to Boston she'd come with her and they'd take a flight.

Boy, was Naima scared.
It was her first time sitting consciously on a plane apart from the time she was born and her mom brought her to the states, of course.

"Make sure to eat well, don't forget to pray, learn hard, and-and. . ." Naima saw a lone tear leave her eye.

"No, don't cry. I promise to come home often."
Naima assured her.

"I'm not crying because of that. It's because you and Zain are all grown up now, it's scary. Then out of nowhere I will grow old and live alone and you and Zain would be independent. . ." she started blabbering.

"Aunt Faiza, you are thinking too far off into the future. It's just four years. I will be back before you know it during the Christmas break." She told her with a smile.

They were standing in front of the school, Naima would call 'home' for four years.

"Why not Thanksgiving?" She pouted. She was really going to miss her.
Now Naima felt bad for leaving her.

"We don't exactly celebrate Thanksgiving and it would be a waste of money to go home for only 3 days. Money I don't have." Naima reasoned with her.

"Yes, you are right. Don't mind me, I'm just going to miss you and it feels like Christmas is so far away. Worst thing is that I won't be able to celebrate your birthday next week with you." She added sadly.

Yes. The coming week was Naima's birth week. August 27 to be precise.

Since they were new students, they were to report a few weeks before the continuing students. Therefore, she would celebrate her birthday in school.
Her mom's  anniversary as well which was in September. September 15.
The day she met Tawfiq too.
Bummer.

Her birthday was just a few weeks away from her mother's death.

No one knew about her birthday yet and she wanted to keep it that way. And by no one, the meant Tawfiq and Dean. They'd make a big deal out of something small. And since it was so close to her mother's anniversary she never did anything fancy on the day.

"Don't worry, I will call you on my birthday. Now. If you don't hurry, you will miss your flight." Naima informed her.

And she would if she spent any more time with her.

"I know. You know, I love you, right?" She pursed her lips.

"I know. And I love you too. But you need to get going." Naima smiled.