Chapter 26

"I'm hurt you don't remember me. It's me. . .guess who? " the stranger said.

How did he expect her to know who he was?
Did she look like a sorceress or a magician?

He did sound familiar but Naima didn't think she knew him. And she knew the people she gave her number too. The world was a scary place to be giving your number to just anyone.

Most of the movies, she had begun watching on Zain's laptop all mostly showed that any unknown caller was either a serial killer, kidnapper or whatever bad person was out there.
Under normal circumstances, she didn't fancy answering unknown numbers. But she had thought it was Zain in her defense.

She probably should stop watching crime and thriller movies and series.

She had already become addicted to Supernatural and she hadn't even reached season 4. Albeit it wasn't exactly crime based.
But the caller could also be a vampire or werewolf. . . Or a jinn. . .

Hopefully not the last one.

She gathered up last remaining courage and spoke.

"If y-you d-don't tell me w-who you are, I w-will be forced to cancel t-the call."  She was really tempted to cancel the call.

Why was she still entertaining whoever he was?
She should just go ahead and end the call without warning.

"No. Wait don't." The stranger said in a haste. "It's Salim." he said quickly noticing Naima would really cancel the call.

Salim? Who was that?

"Salim? Am I supposed to know you?" She tried remembering anyone she knew by that name.

"You still don't remember me? Salim. . .Tawfiq's brother. The one who cleared your doubts on Lacey like a few months ago. You forgot me so easily." His tone fell. "Oh my poor heart" he mumbled and sighed dejectedly.

Salim?
Tawfiq's brother, Salim.

Naima now remembered who he was.
He was the one who cleared the issue about Lacey back in senior year.

Naima found herself exhaling in relief.
It wasn't a serial killer after all.

"You should have said that from the beginning." She paused. "I thought you were a serial killer or something." It hit Naima. "Wait though, how did you get my number?" She asked suspiciously.

Tawfiq would never give out her phone number to anyone without informing her first. She was sure of that.
And she knew she hadn't given him her number the first and only time they had spoken.

"I have my ways. Don't ask me how though." Naima heard him breathe.

"So let me get to the point. I called to tell you something very important and I hope you can do this little important thing for me." he put it out straightforward.

Naima was suspicious though. What did he want her to do?
At the moment, she was only talking with him because he was family to Tawfiq. If not, the conversation would have taken a different turn.

"I can't promise anything. What do you want me to do?"

"I won't ask you to do anything bad or haram. Trust me. I'm a good practicing Muslim." he chuckled clearly knowing what must be going on in Naima's head.

Naima ignored the comment.

"Get to the point, brother. You are stalling." She told him honestly.

And he was.

"I know I am. But if Tawfiq finds out I told you. . .He's going to have my head-literally if he wants." he whispered quietly like Tawfiq would hear him if he spoke any louder.