Chapter 9

Naima didn't know what exactly triggered her black outs.

But she knew. It all started right after her mom died.

A therapist she had seen after her mother's death told her it could be her brain was not able to comprehend some information so it mostly shut down. She was later recommended to a psychiatrist and a neurologist and after the first scan they said she was epileptic. Which didn't add up. She didn't have a lot of symptoms of an epileptic patient and her black outs were more frequent than an epileptic attack.
It also didn't explain why at times she lost function in her legs after blacking out.

After continuous test they were able to tell her what was wrong with her. PNES. Psychogenic Non-Epileptic Seizure. There was no known medical treatment for it as there was little known about it. All they could tell Naima was that it stemmed from PTSD, emotional stress and trauma. Since it was linked to psychological problems she was sent back to her therapist to 'fix her'. It didn't work anyways because Naima was unwilling to talk about any trauma. She couldn't talk about. She would never tell a single soul.

Naima cheeks were aching but she managed to open her eyes to see she was in her room.

She didn't know how she got there but it really didn't matter.
Someone opened the door to her room and entered.

Zain entered holding an ice pack with pain killers and a glass of water on a tray.

"You're up" he said quietly.

"Yes" She winced at the pain.

It felt like her cheeks ached a million times more when she spoke.

"Are you okay. . .does it hurt?" Zain had concern and guilt etched over his features.

"It's not that bad. I'm okay Alhamdulilah."

Naima forced out and tried not to wince after every word.

"I'm so sorry Naima, I should have protected you. It's all my fault." his eyes were glossy.

"Don't say that, you weren't even there when I was hit." Naima shivered at the memory.

"Not just yesterday, but every other time before  that I was there and I did nothing." he looked away from her in shame.

"I know, but you couldn't do anything because he is our dad."

"But I could have stopped that monster."
he growled in anger.

"Zain, don't call him that. He is our father."

"A father who hit you is a monster, if you ask me. Now your face is bruised because of him." He said with sadness.

Naima knew her cheeks would be bruised by now. It wasn't her first time getting a bruise from him. But she didn't think she could look at it.

"Monster or not, we still live under his roof and he gives us financial support, we are blessed not to be living on the street."

"You always see the best in people, even the worst ones."

Zain handed her two of the tablets in the cap of the container.

"Here, take, it will bring down the pain."
He gave her the glass of water and Naima gulps it all down.

They both sit there awkwardly for 10 minutes before the pain killers start to kick in.

" I'm going to tell mom you're awake. I brought you an ice pack for the pain. Mom already placed one on you after you fell unconscious so I'm not sure this will be necessar. . ." he was explaining too much now.