The Finals: ariel_paiment1

This entry was written by ariel_paiement1 who wrote the guild Guild Valkyrie. (updated). Enjoy :)

***

Maertien faced Vaxon with a scowl. "You die here, Vaxon."

Vaxon doubled over with laughter. "Do you seriously think I'll let a little boy take me out? You don't even know how to use that thing."

The young Seer's scowl deepened. "I wouldn't be standing here if I didn't know how to use it."

"Do you even know what you have in your hand?" Vaxon gestured to the blade.

Maertien stared at the kris, which was now glowing dimly. "It's Alket's Kris. It was supposed to be a myth, but legend has it Alket saw something that caused him to create a blade that could take the life force of one who could take the life force of all other living things."

Vaxon crossed his arms. "Well, someone is well-versed."

Snorting, Maertien crouched in a ready position. "That's beside the point."

Hia curled up on the throne, and Maertien couldn't help stealing glances at her. She seemed terribly familiar to him. It was almost as if something dormant inside of him and wakened, and he felt as though he'd found the companionship he'd been craving his entire life. A slow smile slipped over her lips.

His gaze snapped back to Vaxon. "We can do this the easy or the hard way, Vaxon."

Vaxon raised a brow. "You don't really expect me to just give up and die, do you?"

Maertien shrugged. "Obviously, not. I already knew you wouldn't."

The corners of Vaxon's lips tugged upward. "Of course, you would."

Just as the two launched at each other, the doors to the throne room flung open, and a contingent of Zhols burst in. Hia's eyes widened, and she shot to her feet. "Vaxon, what is the meaning of this?"

Vaxon narrowly missed carving Maertien's throat out with the dagger he'd hidden in his boot. He somersaulted to a stop, coming to his feet in a smooth, fluid roll. Maertien's fingers pressed to the side of his neck where Vaxon's dagger managed to cut him when he'd dodged the attack mid-air. Getting slow, I guess... He winced when his fingers came away coated in blood. Father would be so disappointed. His fingers clenched on the hilt of the kris.

"What do you mean, Hia? I just did what any responsible soldier would; I informed my superiors that I found intruders and that the king was assassinated." Vaxon turned his wicked grin on her.

Hia stormed down the steps and grabbed Maertien's hand. "Hold on, Maertien. We need to get out of here now."

Maertien's gaze remained fixed on Vaxon. "He was supposed to die here," he muttered to himself.

With slumped shoulders, Hia transported them out of the throne room before the Zhol soldiers could stop them from leaving. She clung to Maertien's hand as they traveled through the vortex to a location far from the city.

The place they landed remained untouched by the war and destruction. No one else seemed to be about when the two of them tumbled to the ground in a tangle of limbs. Maertien's vacant eyes stared into her face as she lay on top of him. He remained still, but his shallow breathing told her he was alive though stunned. Their faces hovered inches apart from each other, and Maertien finally spoke.

His lips parted, and her name ghosted off his lips. "Hia. Vaxon called you Hia."

She moistened her lips and nodded.