Task 8: The Finals: My Entry

Heaviness weighed down Kyren's soul and threatened to send him over the edge. Eiridan was in no state to help him this time. Not only had everyone over-exerted themselves in the battle, but the grief made most of them silent.

"How is he?" Kyren asked Eiridan, gesturing to Jeythr.

Panting, Eiridan pulled his hands away from the weakened elf's body. "Don't know. Whatever Syra did to him... There's nothing more I can do. It's up to him now." Eiridan's hands gently brushed Jaeyria's thigh as she stirred in her sleep.

A dark presence made Kyren's blood run cold. This Empire conquered an entire planet and killed millions. You're just in shock, Kyren thought to himself. His eyes met Eriswen's where she leaned in Mordzar's arms. She shivered as if she felt it too.

He glanced at Eiridan, but he was fast asleep.

"Kyren," came Rovad's voice over the magical communication crystal. "I need you up here."

Kyren stood to his shaky feet and slid his hand along the prism that opened the door dividing the pilot from the back of the ship, where they all rested. As soon as it closed behind him, he leaned over Rovad. Outside the window, the ship lowered back down toward one of Tythan's empty fields. His entire body ached and several cuts on his torso and arms stung, but he shoved it aside and focused on Rovad. "What's going on?"

"There's a group of stragglers. They have magic, from what I can sense." Rovad poured Mathanos into a crystal as the ship landed. A light dripping sound made Kyren stare at Rovad.

His uniform darkened and maroon droplets formed a pool of blood on the floor. "The wound you mentioned earlier..." Kyren started.

Rovad grimaced and leaned back in his seat with a sigh. "The bleeding hasn't stopped. Do you know how to fly?"

Kyren shook his head. "Yes, but not good enough to break through that blockade. Master Rovad, I - I can't be responsible for all their lives. I can't."

Rovad's eyes closed as he reached a hand up to Kyren's. Kyren clasped just below the elbow like two Magi warriors. He didn't feel like one. "Guilds... are gone... Republic is gone, Kyren, but... Magi... we live on. Through you. Through everyone here. Never... never forget that." He exhaled once and then his chest stilled.

Kyren expected tears to fall from his eyes, but they didn't. There was no answer, no tears, no darkness, not even his inner Zhol side. Why can't I feel anything? he mentally asked himself.

"Kyren," a soft voice murmured.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Eriswen peak into the room. "We picked up a few more Magi... Oh, Rovad..." Tears glistened in her eyes as her hand gently touched Kyren's arm.

He flinched. "Jeythr probably won't make it either. That just leaves Rhogan and I. I don't even know how bad his wings are. What if...?"

Eris shook her head and pulled her hand away. "Don't think about that. You still have us. We're all in this together. Two members of my guild are back there and they're both really good pilots. They think they can get us past the blockade."

Kyren nodded numbly as he grabbed Rovad's arm. He tried to lift his Master's body, but his knees buckled beneath his weight and he stumbled to the ground.

Without saying anything, Eriswen grabbed Rovad's other arm and helped Kyren carry him into the back of the ship. As they passed through the main hold, all the other Magi stared at them and Kyren was glad when the storage room's door in the back closed shut behind them. They laid Rovad's body on the floor and Kyren stared down at him.