Task 4: Switching Places

"Aw, c'mon, Evina. Today is a new day! I think the crowd is going to love the challenge today." Pimret lightly tapped Evina on the shoulder, but the petite fairy still stared out the window of her room with a gloomy look on her face. All Pimret wanted to do was help her.

"If it's any consolation," Thulok began as he hobbled into the room, "I just checked up on Kyren. The Healers seem to think they know a way to force him out of the nightmare his mind is trapped in. It's an Ancient Spell, but it should work. We had no idea that some of these participating Magi had deep pasts and that the Fear Spell would cause them to overdo it. The spell itself was a lower level, intended to make them see pet peeves and a few phobias, not anything serious, let alone forcing them to be stuck inside their greatest fear. Some people have deep pasts that they have tried to escape from, Evina, but that is not your fault. You have to forgive yourself and let others do the same. If they can't, then they're the selfish ones, not you." The dwarf shot her a smile through his thick beard, which make Evina's lips pull up into a soft smile.

"This is the obstacle course challenge today, isn't it?" Evina asked as her skin regained some of its glow.

Pimret nodded eagerly. "I must admit, Thulok, making the participants go through a magical obstacle course that is opposite of their magic is.... Extremely creative."

"Yes, well, it's quite the challenge that shall prove their true mettle as warriors." Thulok stroked his beard as the three Gamemakers hooked arms and strolled out toward the arena.

*****

Hey, guys! Welcome to Task 4: Switching Places! Yes, in honor of the US Independence Day holiday coming up, I'm using a mixture of gifs from the best Fourth of July movie ever, the Patriot featuring Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger, along with American Ninja Warrior because it's relevant to the task. 

Anyway...

This task there will be two characters participating in the challenge. One of them must be the character who did not participate in Task 3 (unless they were a replacement who is no longer replacing someone). The other may be whichever of your five characters you wish.

Both of your characters are wearing matching belts. These belts are enchanted, allowing them to switch places at will. The arena is covered in miles of a magical obstacle course, room enough for all the other guild members and their partners to participate at the same time as your two characters.

Both of your characters will be separated, going through two different courses. Each course is magical and will be designed specifically to hinder your characters based on their magic. This will force them to trade places physically (the belt allows them to do so) and have their partner use their magic to overcome the obstacle and switch back to once again, overcome another obstacle. The entire course is designed this way.

The obstacle course must be magical but it's entirely up to you to design it. I will give you an example that you may use to help you, along with pictures of obstacle courses that you may be able to use as a reference to tweak magically however you want.

Example:

A Gravity Mage and a Shadow Sage are partners. The Gravity mage is faced up against platforms and the only way to get from one to another is to shadow step, because his gravity magic doesn't work. The Shadow Sage has huge boulders in his way, which means he'll be forced to use gravity to lift them up and get through them. So they switch places and get through the obstacles. The second obstacle, is a tiny window each of them have to step through, without touching the anti-magic planes and then the Gravity Mage now has a dark tunnel to get through, but the tunnel is enchanted to push him down and keep him from using his magic. The Shadow Sage is standing in front of an anti-gravity chasm that he can't move to cross. So they switch places and the Gravity Mage uses gravity to get across the chasm, while the Shadow Sage follows the shadows through the tunnel.