Battle Task 3: My Entry

Hywel's fingers lightly traced the feathers of his White Giant Hawk named Marsa. "How is he?" Hywel glanced at Syra and Jeythr as they exited Kyren's infirmary room. The Gamemakers had given him a private one since he was in such bad condition.

Syra shook her head, placing strands of her black hair behind her ear. "Not good, Hywel. They managed to restart his heart with a small electric shock, but he's still trapped in the nightmare and his heartbeat is already speeding back up."

"It seems wrong to replace him and continue in the games as normal," Hywel started, "with Kyren's life on the line."

Syra and Jeythr both nodded. "Master Rovad insisted that it's what Kyren would want," Jeythr murmured.

"How is little Rya?" Syra's forehead creased with worry.

Hywel gestured to the waiting rooms. "Naya has taken her to go play. She doesn't want to worry the poor girl; Kyren is all she has."

"When are the battles going to start?" Jeythr glanced down the hallway, toward the doors that led outside.

Hywel gestured to the door and let Marsa fly off. "They've already started. Benjo is there already with Master Rovad, Zenna and the others. I believe it's Guild Valkyrie against Silent Phoenix right now. It would have been quite interesting to watch and enjoy, if I wasn't so worried for Kyren."

The three adults walked down the hallway and out the doors into the dimming light of the late evening. Already it had cooled off, and Hywel was certain he smelled rain in the air. Sure enough, Marsa flew high into the sky but stayed to circle close to them, just like she always did when a storm was coming.

"So would I," Jeythr added as they trekked down the main street of Kypha. No people bustled about the city; everyone was watching the third set of battles in the Games. "I am sorry you have been teamed up with Zenna."

Hywel frowned. "Yes. I'm not sure if we're going to win. She doesn't work well with anyone..."

Jeythr lightly patted his shoulder in reassurance. "Good luck, my friend."

They quickly exited the gates and started up the stairs to the arena. One of the Magi Mentors in the Games, a polar bear centaur named Aderri, hobbled over to them. "Hywel, Zenna is already at the arena entrance waiting for you. Hurry; Guild Valkyrie and Silent Phoenix are almost over!"

Syra and Jeythr gave him a small wave as Hywel jogged off in the opposite direction. The maze of hallways beneath the arena confused him, but with Marsa flying in front of him to lead the way, he didn't get lost. Climbing up a small staircase, Hywel gestured back the way they came. "Sorry, Marsa, but you can't come with me."

Marsa squawked and then chirped, but when Hywel shook his head, the giant hawk flew back down the hallway. Hywel walked up the stairs into shade just outside the medium gates leading into the arena. Thus far, each of the battle arenas had been designed differently and this one was all enclosed, so there was no telling what it would look like.

Zenna clutched her bow tightly as she paced back and forth in front of the entrance. With a narrowed glance in Hywel's direction, Zenna huffed. "I wondered if you were going to show up."

"Kyren's not doing good. I waited to hear more about his condition," Hywel responded.

Zenna scoffed. "That Dark Mage... Having a heart attack over a few fears; pathetic."

Hywel whirled around and stood directly in her face. "You and I may have to work together for this battle, Zenna, but should show respect. Kyren endured more suffering than anyone could imagine and his fears are far greater than you or I - even you with your father's experiments."