46. The ultrasound

Aditya

I was in a meeting when my phone started ringing off the hook. It was Khushi's call so I excused myself from the meeting and picked up her call.

"Yes, my love."

"I miss you so much. When are you coming back?" She said in a baby-like voice.

"I am in a very important meeting, sweetheart. I will finish it soon and come home after that. Can I go back, please? People are waiting for me."

"No one loves me. Everyone is busy with their works." She hung up the call before I could reply and didn't pick when I called her again. I sighed as I was called back by my assistant and decided to pacify my wife later on. After the meeting got over, I checked my phone to see if I got any calls or messages from her but there was none. Rather she had put on a WhatsApp status writing - No one loves me anymore. I laughed so hard after reading it. It was so unlike her, she has never done that before.

I felt like I am gonna have a tough time convincing Khushu to forgive me.

I reached home and tried to find my angry bird but she was nowhere to be found so I went to the only place she could go and that was the library. When I opened the door, I saw her sprawled on the sofa with specs on her eyes and a book in her hand. She saw me coming but didn't acknowledge my presence. I sat there for nearly 10 minutes but she didn't even look my way.

Wasn't she missing me badly like a few hours ago?

"I was told that someone misses me terribly but here, no one is even sparing me a glance," I muttered teasingly, earning a deadly glare from her.

"Some people think that the world revolves around them but sadly, it isn't the case." She countered back with a sarcastic grin. I felt bad for making her upset in her condition. So I did what I always do - I asked for forgiveness.

"I am sorry. Forgive me, please." I gave her puppy eyes.

"No no, Mr Aggarwal. Why are you saying sorry? I should be saying sorry because I disturbed you in a very important meeting. My bad!" She replied, keeping a hand on her heart mocking disbelief.

"Princess, see your mamma is getting angry at me unnecessarily," I whispered, bending down to her stomach level, caressing it softly.

"Woah! Now, I am being accused of getting angry unnecessarily. Wait a second! Did you just say, princess? Who told you it's a girl and not a boy?" She asked, narrowing her eyes at me.

"My heart did," I muttered casually.

"Yeah, right. Mr Aggarwal's heart knows the gender of the babies." She taunted rudely making fun of me.

"Stop being so rude," I argued.

"Whatever! As you can see, I am busy with the book so don't disturb me, please. Leave me alone like you always do these days." She muttered the last part under her breath. I felt bad and tried to change the topic.

"Why did you put the status? Didn't anyone ask why are you behaving weirdly?" I asked, stifling my laugh. She fumed and glared at me again.

"Stop fueling my anger. And the status was only visible to you because it was meant for you to see. You need to realise that I was feeling lonely and sad and I needed you but your meeting was bloody more important." She muttered and angry tears slipped from her eyes. I winced seeing her tears, I was responsible for it.

"I am sorry. This meeting could not be avoided at any cost." She turned her head away from me, sniffling.

"Princess, can you tell your mamma that dad is sorry. He was very busy. He wanted to finish his work as soon as possible and come running to your mamma. You see, he missed her very much and loves her the most in the World. Can you please tell her that dad can't stay without talking to her? Ask her to forgive me? Please." I muttered 'please' looking at her.

A Miracle That Changed My Life जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें