16. Union of two souls

Aditya

I woke up with a smile the next day, it was the day of my wedding. Ever since Khush came into my life, I looked forward to every single day. I was going to get married to the most beautiful person I have ever known and for that, I was happy beyond words. Finally, she would be mine.

It was such an incredible feeling, knowing I wouldn't have to be alone anymore. I would have a date for every function and I would travel places with my life partner. My parents were always there for me but there were times when you crave a different kind of attention when you want your significant other in your life. I used to travel alone for business so many times and I did not have a girl who waited for me or accompanied me to places but now I would be able to enjoy that privilege as well.

"Where are you zoned out, bro? And what is with this smile?" Abhi asked wiggling his eyebrows at me in a teasing sort of way. I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even realise when he arrived in the room.

"Put your dirty mind to rest, Mr Abhinav Sharma. I was just thinking about how my future is going to be so fulfilling. Life has changed so much in a span of a few months. I am going to get married today to the love of my life. I am just happy. Nothing can beat this feeling." I said smiling in a daze.

"I am so glad you are happy, bro." He said smiling and pulled me for a bro hug.

"And I am also happy that my friend has found someone, too," I said nudging Abhi with my elbow. His neck turned a little pink.

"Oh, blush, blush!" I teased him, imitating a girly tone. He punched my stomach lightly.

"Shut up. Don't let anyone hear you." He muttered and I laughed.

"Someday it will be revealed." I kept teasing him.

"Adi!" He growled and I laughed muttering sorry. We both went to eat breakfast. There was so much hustle and bustle in the family. Mom was running here and there giving orders to everyone. Abhi and I smiled at each other and shook our heads together. MOM!

"Rishi, don't place the gift there. We are taking it with us. Just place it in the car." Mom ordered. She looked so worked up. Both of us went and hugged her from behind.

"Mom, don't work yourself up so much," I said snuggling my face in her shoulder.

"Hmm, maa. Just relax." Abhi said. She smiled and patted our cheeks.

"You both don't know anything. I just want my son's day to be the best. And it's nothing that I am doing. Now go and eat your breakfast both of you. Don't disturb me. We need to perform a ritual with you, Adi. So go and do everything faster." She told smiling and pushed us both towards the kitchen.

Afterwards, the ritual of Nanak shak was performed. In this ritual, prayer is performed with the groom's maternal uncles. After the prayer was done, I was allowed to spend some goofing up time with my friends.

I called Khushi in the afternoon to know about her. She was sounding sad obviously. She must be feeling an emotional roller coaster but I couldn't gather the courage to ask her about it. It would have made her sadder so I tried to lighten her mood by talking nonsensical junk.

"So I will see you in the evening," I said, not wanting to hang up the call.

"You will see me in the evening." She whispered. She was called by someone from behind, so we had to hang up the call.

"Bye. I love you. And Khush?" I said just before cutting the call.

"Hmm." She hummed in response.