Of Promises and Rings (Extra #2)

Dedicated to @Bambi1938

• • •

Really, Will should be listening to Jason as he did the whole wedding officiant. After all, it was really touching for him to go online to become registered just so he could make it official between him and Nico. But Will couldn't really focus. Not with Nico standing in from of him looking especially beautiful that day.

The day before their wedding, the couple traveled all the way back to Camp Half-Blood where they had agreed to hold their wedding. Their friends—no, families—also arrived early. Then the morning of their wedding, Piper had declared that the two grooms shouldn't see each other and had immediately kept Nico quarantined from Will as she did whatever she did with Nico's wardrobe and looks.

Will hadn't been too happy about not seeing Nico for the whole day. But then it had neared evening which meant that the wedding was going to start. A little field was cleared and blocked off for any non-guests. This field was now where their wedding was held. It was decorated with a lieu of fairy lights strung around the perimeter. Simple wooden chairs were lined up on either side of a long white carpet. In those chairs sat both Will's and Nico's families, all of them smiling and some already tearing up. Above them, the sky was turning blue, purple, orange, and pink. Nothing but the sound of hushed chattering and a sweet, flowy tune filled the air.

When Will had gotten to the front where Jason was standing, he had smiled at everyone yelling their appreciation, including Cecil's wolf whistles. Will had to admit, Leo knew how to dress people up nicely. He was wearing a white dress shirt and dark dress pants. This was held together with yellow suspenders, adding a pop of color. A matching yellow tie dangled comfortably from his neck. Will tugged on his hair a bit. Leo had insisted on styling it so that it looked "messy but like, a good kind of messy."

Just as he was about to become impatient waiting for Nico to appear, he heard Jason sniffle. Will looked at him but Jason was staring straight ahead, teary-eyed. Will followed his line of sight and his breath hitched.

Nico was being walked down the aisle by Chiron, who was in his wheelchair. Nico looked absolutely breathtaking. He was wearing a a black dress shirt underneath a grey vest. In fact, his whole outfit was dark except for a yellow bow tie. Will's heart jumped at the sight. They had accidentally matched. Nico's hair, which was short on the sides but fuller on the top, flopped into his eyes, prompting him to push it away. Will grinned when he saw the shy smile that Nico wore.

Everything after that was kind of a blur. Will's attention was mainly focused on the man standing in front of him. Then came the time for them to put on the rings. Nico slid his onto Will's ring finger first, then Will followed suit. They were simple gold bands. But while they were simple, they meant so much. It was a bit overwhelming, the emotions washing over Will at that moment. He felt so utterly infatuated and connected to Nico, Will couldn't possibly imagine a life without him in it. Their pasts and the world be damned. Nothing can stop Will and Nico from getting married.

Nico looked like he was feeling the same thing. He had a soft look on his face, one that Will had become familiarized to. Gone was the crease between his dark eyebrows. His face was clear of everything but pure joy. Will relished in that, soaking in Nico's pleasure. Nico looked at Will like he fulfilled his whole world and more. Will was certain that he himself looked the same way at Nico.

Will's whole body practically thrummed from anticipation. His mind shouted "Yes, finally! I'm finally marrying Nico!" He had just half a mind to register Jason saying, "I now pronounce you husbands. You may now kiss—"

But Will didn't wait for him to finish. He was already holding Nico's face and pulling him closer and closer. When their lips touched, it didn't feel like fireworks or anything like that. No, it felt like a warm bath after a tiresome day and a night spent cuddling. Will felt Nico smile into the kiss and Will was already doing the same. He felt their promise of forever, their trust, their plan to adopt a dog, their home that was waiting for them. He felt that and everything in between through their kiss. And when they pulled apart, they pressed their foreheads together, breaths mingling between each other and their faces inches apart.

"You look good," Will said, gazing intently into Nico's crinkled eyes.

"I feel good, too," Nico replied, a faint twinkle in his eyes.

Will huffed softly and placed another peck on Nico's mouth. "Love you."

Nico responded by tangling Will's hand with his and giving it a squeeze.

The pair turned their heads towards their audience. Will shot Nico one last look before starting back down the aisle, Nico by his side. More than a few were crying. Will passed by Cecil, bawling and gurgling out congratulations. Lou Ellen, who was sitting beside him, sniffled and knocked fists with Will, a teary smile on her face. Percy and Annabeth shot them watery smiles and shouted their approval. They passed by Piper and Leo next, both of whom shot them finger guns. "Looking good boys!" Piper shouted. Will and Nico laughed at that. Hazel, who was also crying, and Frank congratulated the newly weds.

Everything felt right that day. Will was warm all over, warm from Nico's hands, warm from their kiss, warm from their families' cheers and support. That's when Will realized, after smiling at Reyna's congratulations: nothing had really changed. He still had a family, one that was unconventional but no less close-knit. He was still with Nico, could still trade lazy kisses and casual touches. He had no doubt that he would still wake up with Nico, would still cook for each other, would still live together.

Will still had everything he could've ever wanted. Except now, he could call Nico his husband.