I Just Wanted Some Pancakes

Nico walked into the iHop and almost immediately, his muscles loosened. The bright and harsh lighting was a huge contrast to the dark and hooded veil that covered the town outside. Nico closed his eyes and detected the lingering scent of pancakes in the air. Oh how Nico missed his safe space.

His trance was broken when a familiar voice asked, "Back so soon, Mr. Grim Reaper?"

Nico's eyes snapped open and half-heartedly glared at the man standing in front of him. He was tall and had broad shoulders. His curly, blonde hair was messy but in a put-together sort of way and went along with his tan skin. He had the bluest eyes that Nico had ever seen. (And believe him, he's seen a lot of eyes in his lifetime, some begging for mercy and some filled with fear.)

He was wearing a t-shirt with the classic blue apron over it. The man moved his hand in a two-finger salute as a greeting, effectively making his biceps flex a little. And man, if Nico wasn't staring before, he was now. (And maybe drooling a little. But that's not the point.)

"Hmph, whatever, Mr. Sunshine," Nico retaliated.

Will chuckled. "It's been months and you still haven't come up with another name, have you?"

Nico looked away and blushed. "I've been busy," he muttered. Then before Will could get another word in, Nico said, "So, are you gonna get me a table or what?"

To other people, this may have come off as rude but Will was used to it by now. He knew that Nico wasn't intentionally like that. Will smiled widely and swept his hands over the span of the empty restaurant. "Choose wisely, Nico!"

Nico laughed a little and pointed randomly at booth by the window near the entrance. "That one."

"Ah, good choice sir!" Will exclaimed in a horrible British accent. He led Nico over the booth and sat him down. "Should I even give you menu?" Will mused.

"Nah, you already know what I'm gonna order."

"I still think it's boring. Try something new!" Will coaxed.

"It's simple and a classic!" Nico said, a bit defensively.

Will laughed and his eyes crinkled at the edges. "One stack of pancakes coming right up!" He smiled and winked one more time before heading into the kitchen.

Nico stared at Will (and his butt) until he disappeared from his view. Then he sighed and leaned back in his seat, kicking up his feet onto the seat across from him. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the quietness in the iHop and let the comfort wash over him. Saying that his job as an assassin was tiring was an understatement. He had desperately needed a break, no matter how brief.

Somehow, Nico always ended back up at the same iHop whenever he had a break. Nico didn't know whether it was because the pancakes were to die for or if it was because of a certain blonde waiter. (He suspected it was the latter.)

He didn't know how tired he was until he was jostled awake from someone breaking through the glass window.

This effectively woke Nico right up and instantly, his muscle memory kicked in from all his training for situations like these. Nico leapt out of the booth, away from the broken glass and the intruder. He whipped out his knife that he kept on him at all times and pointed it at the intruder.

Said intruder was wearing a black ski mask and an all black outfit, similar to Nico's outfit, minus the ski mask.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" Nico growled and sneered at the man.

"Can't tell you who I am but I can tell you this," the man said, his tone mocking. "I'm here to kill you." With that, the man lunged forward and swiped a piece of broken glass at Nico. Nico dodged and tried to stab the man's arm. However, the man kicked out his feet which knocked Nico over and sent his knife flying. "Man, I just wanted some pancakes," Nico murmured.