Touch

The fire crackled as hoards of campers mingled around it. Their voices floated through the air and into the night sky that was peppered with thousands, millions of stars. People laughed, talked, and roasted marshmallows. Nico noticed that somewhere in the distance, someone was strumming a guitar.

Nico was seated next to Will, who was talking with Kayla and Austin. Nico occasionally added his thoughts to the conversation but was okay with just listening. Well, half-heartedly. He was also preoccupied focusing on the way their legs were smushed together and how their shoulders would occasionally brush.

The close proximity was more than what Nico would've attempted to do if the idea were to pop up a few weeks ago. He would've been flustered at the idea of touching his crush. But on one fateful day, Will and had confessed his feelings to Nico and Nico had gladly reciprocated those feelings. However, Nico wasn't too comfortable about announcing his relationship with Will out of nowhere, let alone the fact that he was gay.

So they had decided to keep it under wraps for now. But that didn't mean that Nico didn't want to snuggle up with Will now that he had the power to do so.

Kayla and Austin had now elevated into arguing light-heartedly about something stupid, paying no attention to Nico and Will. Nico was trying to build up the courage to try and lay his head on Will's shoulders or just grab his hand. But before Nico could act, Will yawned and raised his arms above his hand. After stretching his back a little bit, Will let his arms fall... around Nico's shoulders.

Well his left arm fell to his side as expected. What Nico didn't expect was for Will to pull the classic "yawn and place your arms around the person you like" move.

Will looked at Nico and Nico had to hold back his urge to kiss the other boy. The orange and yellow light from the fire lit up most of Will's face in a warm glow. His earnest eyes and the easiness of his grin made Nico's stomach flutter in a way that almost scared him.

"This okay?" Will muttered to Nico, referring to his arm around the shorter boy.

Nico smiled up at him and nodded reassuringly. "What a dork."

Will's smile grew and he hastily pressed a kiss to Nico's forehead before he turned his attention to another camper. Nico blushed and buried his head into Will's shoulder, hiding the pink on his cheeks and the huge, dopey grin he had on his face. And with the friendliness in the air, the fire blazing away, and Nico's friends around him, he had never felt so content.

(Little did Will and Nico know, Austin and Kayla had been watching their exchange for a while. The pair gave each other knowing looks and smirks, knowing that the two boys had finally gotten together.)

• • •

Will was numb. He couldn't see anything around him besides the bed. The bed where the little demigod had took her last breath. Where Will had failed to save her because he didn't know that she had been poisoned. He was too frantic, too careless, too caught up in the fact that she would've died from blood loss.

Will didn't know how long he had been standing there in the infirmary. The girl's body had been moved out and the sheets were once again clean but Will couldn't find it in himself to move away. His vision began to blur again. Maybe if he had better, more focused. He just wasn't enough this time.

Then he heard steps coming towards him. He glanced to his left and saw the familiar mop of black hair and shining, worried eyes looking back at him. Will averted his gaze back to the bed, something akin to shame and worthlessness taking over him.

He could feel Nico walking closer until he was right beside him. Again, Will looked over to see what Nico would do. But Nico just stared at the bed in front him like Will was doing. The silence stretched between them and was almost getting unbearable. Will was spiraling back into his thoughts of "what-ifs" and what type of life the girl could've led if he had done better and—

Will felt Nico's pinky hook onto his own. Startled, he looked down to their pinkies and then at Nico, who was slightly blushing but still staring solemnly ahead. Slowly, Nico interlocked all their fingers together until their hands were fully joined.

The gesture seemed to convey what Nico was trying to tell Will. That it was alright, that it wasn't his fault. That no matter what, he was enough. And Will took these words to heart. He knew that he wouldn't immediately recover just like that. But he was comforted knowing that he wouldn't go through it alone.

Will's vision blurred again and this time he started crying. He let out his frustrations, his dejectedness, and his sadness. Nico maneuvered his arms around Will in a tight hug and brought them into a sitting position onto the floor. Will burrowed his face into Nico's neck and clung onto him. Nico hugged Will tighter.

After a while, Will's sobs turned into mere sniffles here and there, which prompted Will to say something to fill the silence.

"I'm sorry," Will whispered into Nico's shoulder. "I got your shirt all dirty."

Will felt Nico shake his head. "Nothing to be sorry for. And just letting you know, that I'll always be here to talk and that you did your best trying to save that girl and it wasn't your fault."

Will was almost brought to tears again but he had decided that he had cried enough for one day. So he opted for nodding and lifting his head up from Nico's shoulder. Nico was already looking at him and there was faint and sympathetic smile playing on his lips.

"You should get some rest," Nico remarked.

Will, who was now fully aware about how exhausted he really was, nodded sleepily and let himself be lifted onto his feet by his boyfriend. As they walked out of the infirmary, Will thanked Nico for being there for him.

"No need to thank me. That's what boyfriends are for, right?" And before Will got to say anything in return, Nico kissed Will on the cheek and quickly leaned back. Will blushed and managed a wobbly smile. Together, they walked hand in hand towards Nico's cabin.

• • •

A/n: the second part got surprisingly angsty for some reason oops. But I hope the comfort in this one balances it out.

Hhhhhnnnnn kinda feeling stressed but like there's no reason to be?? Idk dudes, maybe it's just my anxiety lol.

Anyways, hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and have an awesome day/night!!

-Victoria :)