Drumsticks

(inspired by the pic above - credit: otpprompts on tumblr)

Warning: panic attack ahead!! Please don't read if you're not comfortable with that!!

"WOOHOO! YEAH WE LOVE YOU! WOOO!" Percy yelled as a famous band walked onto stage. They waved back to the massive audience before taking a little time to set up their instruments.

"YEAH! YOU GUYS ARE SO AMAZING! I WANT TO-" Nico nudged Jason in the stomach before he could say anything embarrassing. 

"Shut it, Jason. You too, Percy." Nico grumbled. He didn't even want to be here. He would much rather stay in his dorm room and eat a tub of mint chip ice cream while watching another video on conspiracy theories.

"Nicooo," Hazel whined. "C'mon, stop being a stick in the mud. I know you didn't want to come but you're here now and you might as well make the best of it, right?"

Of course Hazel would always be the voice of reason. Nico begrudgingly muttered a "fine" and gave her a reluctant half grin. Hazel returned his with a bright and beautiful smile. Nico couldn't help but admire his little sister's beauty. She was wearing a pastel pink shirt, tucked into a pair of jean shorts. She topped it off with a pair of brown ankle boots. Her curly brown hair fluttered in the mild breeze and her eyes sparkled with excitement.

Nico just wore his usual outfit, a black t-shirt with a skull on it paired with his one of many black jeans. He covered his top half with his signature aviator jacket. You could tell he didn't put much effort into what he wore to this god-awful event.

"Yay! Don't worry Nico, you'll have fun," Jason assured. His blue eyes held an excited gleam.

"Yeah, totally bro!" Percy yelled into his ear, bouncing around excitedly while waiting for the band to finish setting up. Nico cringed at his loud volume. Before Nico could say something sarcastic or tell Percy to shut his trap, the lead singer of the band tapped on his microphone and announced that they would begin their performance. The crowd went wild and the deafening cheers made Nico's ears hurt.

The music was OK. Nico didn't really have anything to say on it. He wasn't a hardcore fan like Percy and Jason, nor was he particularly interested in being shuffled around in a huge, sweaty mass of humans, like Hazel. In fact, Hazel was talking to some guy with black hair and dark eyes and a big body right in front of Nico. Nico tensed up at the thought of him hurting Hazel but relaxed a bit when he saw that the big guy was blushing like crazy and giving Hazel tentative smiles.

After their performance was over, the lead singer went over the classic "thank you for coming out to support us and we are so honored" speech before handing the mic over to the drummer. "We have a special treat for you guys!" the drummer said. Everyone started whispering and guessing what the surprise could be. "In my hand are two drumsticks. I'm gonna throw each one to two different people and if those two people can find each other by the time this festival is over, they'll each get a free ticket to our next gig and backstage passes!" Everyone started freaking out. Percy kept repeatedly hitting Jason on the shoulder, too stunned to say anything. Jason kept saying, "Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god." Hazel turned back to Nico and shouted, "Oh my gods, I hope I catch it!"

The drummer seemed satisfied with the response. "OK, on the count of three. One." Everyone held their breath. "Two." Nico could feel the tension in the crowd. "Three!" The drummer threw one drumstick in one direction and the other in the opposite direction. There was some screaming, scrambling, and shoving, which Nico did not take lightly. Then something caught his eye. He looked up, his instincts kicking in, and caught something in his hands. A drumstick.