Always

warning: death, though there's nothing remotely gory nor are there any mentions of blood. but still, please, please, please don't read if you don't feel comfortable in any way

Will held onto Nico's tiny, cold hand. He was trying his best not to cry but he couldn't help the sob that escaped his throat.

"N-Nico, please don't go." Will's voice trembled. "You can't!" At this point, Will was begging for death not to take his husband away from him.

Nico gave Will a sad, watery smile, a tear rolling down his cheek. He squeezed Will's hand and said, "Hey, hey. Don't cry because you're making me cry."

Will only looked at Nico with a broken look, the tears cascading down his face freely. He was sitting by Nico's sleeping form in the hospital bed when suddenly Nico had suddenly woken up and said in a small, quivering voice, "Will, it's happening."

Will took a second to recover from shock, then confusion, before finally, the bleak realization dawned on him. He took in Nico's almost dull brown eyes, his shallow breathing, and the lethargy surrounding the other man.

Nico was about to die.

And that brings us to what's happening now. Will was desperately clinging to Nico's hand as if that'll stop the inevitable from happening. He was full on sobbing now, and frankly, a blubbering mess. But who wouldn't be in his position?

Nico shook Will's hand away from his before reaching up and caressing Will's cheek, wiping away some stray tears. "I'm gonna miss you." Nico let out a strangled laugh. "You'll always be a dork, but you're my dork."

Will let out a choked laugh at that, though that didn't lighten up the heavy mood. "I'm gonna miss you too. So much," Will replied, sniffling like crazy and leaning into Nico's hand. Nico's touch comforted him, even though he knew what was going to happen. "I love you, I love you so much, you can't even comprehend it."

That's when Nico's hand dropped away from Will's face. He coughed hard, trying his best to get a few extra words out. "Not as much as I love you. I'll- I'll see you later, Will." Nico drew one last shuddering breath, giving Will one last smile, before closing his eyes. And with his dark hair fanned out on his pillow and a faint, content quirk of his lips, he truly did look like an angel.

"No, no, no, no no!" Will shouted. He got up in a haste, knocking over his chair and grabbed Nico's hands and took them in his own. He brought them to his chest as he cried harder. The world around him suddenly became muted. Dark, bleak, miserable. How is he going live without Nico? The one who said he would always be there for him. The one who could fill his whole world with color and lightness as long as he was there.

Will's heart felt like it was filled with rocks, the overwhelming sadness making his chest ache. And as he finally let go of Nico's hand, he whispered, "You'll always be my sunshine."

"Always."

• • •

A/n: I'm sorry in advance. Oops.

I don't know how to feel about this. I just don't think I really conveyed a lot of emotion but then again, I also don't know how to fix it so here ya go.

On a brighter note, my friends and I made a niche meme account over on Instagram (niche memes are basically memes but more aesthetic I guess?). So y'all can prob get a good laugh if u check out godlyniche on ig

Who knows, it could brighten up ur mood after this mess of a one shot (again, I'm sorry hhhhhh)

-Victoria :)