I'm Lovin It

It was 1 AM and Nico was stuck behind a counter at McDonald's. The bright, fluorescent lights made Nico's eyes hurt everytime he looked up at them. Outside, it was pitch black and no one was out on the streets. Who would even come to McDonald's this late?

Nico grumbled and muttered a few curse words under his breath. An employee had called in sick and the manager made Nico fill in for him. Not only was it really early in the morning (Nico was definitely NOT an early bird), but his co-worker was supposed to be here by now (although he didn't really need this mystery person to help him since there was nobody in the restaurant).

Nico only scowled at the counter and kicked it with his foot. Don't get him wrong. Nico loved McDonald's. He just hated working there. Especially in the wee hours of the morning. But alas, he needed to pay for college somehow and this was the only job he could find.

Suddenly the bell jingled as someone pushed the door open. Nico immediately straightened his back and plastered on a fake smile, thinking it was a customer. However, his smile reverted back to his sour look when he noticed that this person wore a uniform.

Nico walked up to him and looked up since the other person was taller than him. Then he said rather harshly, "Where have you been? You were supposed to be here 2 hours ago!"

"Sorry. I was visiting my mom in the hospital and I fell asleep next to her without realizing," the other person explained, looking sheepish.

Nico was shocked at first and then he was washed over with guilt. He had just yelled at a man for visiting his sick mother.

This person must've sensed his regret because he gave him a small smile, revealing his white teeth, and said, "No worries. You didn't know."

An awkward silence ensued and Nico took this time to observe the person. He could see curly blonde hair sticking out from the cap he wore that was part of the uniform. Up close, Nico could spot freckles dotting his cheeks and nose on his tan skin. His eyes were blue, as blue as the summer sky.

Then the other person cleared his throat. "So, uh, my name's Will. What's yours?"

"Nico," He answered plainly.

"Can't you wait to get started on this spectacular job?" Will yelled sarcastically. He even added jazz hands that made Nico smile a bit.

Nico rolled his eyes, though he still had an amused look in his face. "Well I, for one, was actually on time for my shift. Do you always work this early in the morning?"

"Yep," Will replied, popping the p. "Gotta pay for my medical school, ya know. Plus, now I have to cover my mom's medical bills."

Nico paused for a moment before saying, "Wow. That sucks. I'm sorry." Nico didn't really know how to respond to that. Actually, he didn't really know how to interact with most people. He found them annoying, but Will was different. Nico could actually see himself talking with Will all day.

Will looked around the empty restaurant before stopping at the fryer where a bunch of fries were sitting there untouched.

"I bet you can't eat as many fries as I can," Will challenged.

"Oh, you're so on!" Nico ran to the fries and started to stuff handfuls of them in his mouth. Man, he really loved McDonald's fries.

Will was also eating rapidly. After a while, Will stopped the game, claiming that he couldn't take any more.

"Yes!" Nico pumped his fist in the air and gave Will a smug smirk. "Couldn't hold out as long as you thought?" In reality, Will had stopped intentionally to see Nico's smile. Even though he only met Nico twenty minutes ago, he wanted to get to know him better. Plus, it didn't hurt that he looked really cute, with his overgrown black hair contrasting his pale skin. And his eyes were a deep shade of brown that made Will feel like he could melt into them.

They spent the rest of their shift swapping stories and telling each other about their lives. In the end, they also exchanged numbers. Both boys felt that their relationship would blossom into something incredible. And they couldn't wait.