Kiss and Miss

The first time Will tried to kiss Nico, Will had thought it was the perfect time and place. They had just came back from their third date at the nearby amusement park and it was quite a success if Will did say so himself.

Will had suggested that they walk back to Nico's place together since it was on the way to Will's house anyways. So yeah, there they were, standing outside of the apartment building while both of them were anticipating something.

Will felt giddy and nervous—really nervous. He was almost sure that Nico could hear his heart pounding from how close they were standing in front of each other.

Speaking of, if Will just bent down a few inches, he could reach Nico's lips that looked a bit chapped, but inviting nonetheless. And god, Nico was looking up at Will with the roundest and the most adorable eyes and his long, messy hair fell around his face just right.

If Will didn't know any better, he was sure that Nico was also leaning upwards too. They were getting closer and closer—

And Will decided to kiss Nico's forehead at the last second.

When Will pulled back, he was blushing so hard, he was surprised that the red color wasn't permanently stained on him.

"Uh, goodnight Nico," Will said after a moment of them staring at each other. Will attempted a confident smile.

Nico, who was also blushing a little, stared at Will a moment longer before something flashed across his face. Was it disappointment? Then he replied with a small smile, "Night, Will."

Nico smiled one last time at Will before turning away and walking up the steps to his building. Will waited until Nico got in safely before promptly groaning and dragging his hands down his face.

"Oh my god, you're such an idiot," Will said to himself. He closed his eyes and breathed. "Okay, next time, Will. Next time, you're definitely going to kiss him for real."

And with that, Will walked back home filled with determination and butterflies in his gut.

• • •

The second time Will tried to kiss Nico was on their next date. They were at the park and while it was slowly turning to spring, the weather was still chilly and the air still nipped at them.

But one pro of the heinous wind was that Nico had his scarf wrapped tight around his neck and it was pulled up to his chin. He had a hat with a pom-pom on it and was wearing an oversized jacket. And when Will thought Nico couldn't look any more breathtaking, Nico had laughed at one of jokes, a smile lighting up his face.

Yeah, Will was really over the moon for this guy.

They walked hand in hand until they stopped right underneath an almost bare tree. There were already a few tiny buds blooming but otherwise, the branches were naked.

Again, they were staring each other intently. Nico was looking at Will with those intelligent, brown eyes again and the hair that wasn't being covered by his hat was swaying gently from the wind. Will thought distantly that he wanted to take a picture of Nico at that moment just to document what he looked like. However, it seemed that he just couldn't look away from Nico's gaze.

They began the process of slowly inching towards each other and they closed their eyes. They could feel each other's breaths on their own mouths and—

Something suddenly knocked into Will's head. Hard. Will stumbled back and rubbed the side of his head where the object had hit. Nico was immediately fussing over him and asking him if he was okay but Will was more focused on beating himself up over not being able to go through with the kiss. But his head did kind of hurt too.

Moments later, a girl came up to the pair and profusely apologized for hitting Will in the head with a football. Will, of course, forgave her with a kind smile, though it was a bit strained. Nico, on the other hand, only gave the person a look that was borderline a glare with a hint of a frown on his face. It stayed there until Will tugged on Nico's jacket which prompted Nico to turn around and look at him.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm fine," Will assured.

"But she interrupted our..." Nico trailed off and looked away blushing.

Will's face also became pink. Both of them knew what was going to happen though they chose not to acknowledge it.

"There's always next time," Will added.

Nico cracked a smile at that. "Next time."

Will kissed Nico's forehead before he lost the nerve to do so with Nico leaning in happily. He grabbed Nico's hand and they continued their walk around the park.

• • •

The third time Will tried to kiss Nico was a week later when they were both stuck under an awning, waiting for the bus in the pouring rain. Nico was slightly damp and his hair was starting to curl at the ends which Will found extremely endearing. They had run into each other by chance but neither of them minded the company.

They struck up conversation after conversation with Will making jokes now and then and Nico throwing out sarcastic remarks. Despite the cool rain, Will felt surprisingly warm inside.

The moment their conversation died down and they were both looking into each other's eyes again, Will knew. And he wasn't going to let this opportunity go to waste again. Nothing was going to stop him from finally being able to feel Nico's lips on his. His heart sped up as he closed his eyes and leaned down and—

A car whizzed by, honking and most likely going over the speed limit. This also meant that the car managed to send a small wave of rainwater that was collecting on the road crashing into the pair, effectively soaking their pants.

Both of them jumped back and looked at their pants, then each other, and then their pants again. Chills were starting to take over Will's body and he started shivering. But he also couldn't help but burst out giggling at their situation because honestly, this was pretty funny. Soon enough, Nico joined in too and they both laughed and laughed until they couldn't anymore.

After their laughing session was over, Nico mused, "We are so unlucky."

Will huffed another short laugh while also looking forward towards the road. Now that the realization struck him, he was already on his way to wallowing in self-pity. Nico was such an amazing person and Will was so gone for him. He had really wanted to kiss Nico.

Then he heard a quiet, but firm, "Fuck it."

Will turned around to ask Nico what he meant by that. But he was cut off when Nico grabbed Will's jacket and pulled him down to place his mouth and Will's.

To say that Will was shocked was an understatement. He was absolutely floored. There were a few seconds where Will stared at Nico with wide eyes and his hands wavered next to himself, unsure of where to place them.

But Will let himself melt into the kiss. Kissing Nico was everything Will had imagined and more. It was gentle but strong, grounding but at the same time, it made Will feel like he was floating on clouds. Gradually, Will relaxed and he finally found a place to put his hands on Nico's waist.

They kept their lips on each other just to relish in the feel of it. And even though they could feel each other smiling widely into the kiss, neither of them wanted to pull apart.

• • •

A/n: Oof sorry there wasn't a new chapter last week. I didn't have any motivation/inspiration but I'm back baby!

-Victoria :)