The One Where Nico Returns a Library Book

(inspired by the pic above - credit: otp--prompts on tumblr)

Nico walked into the library, the smell of old books hitting his nose. On instinct, Nico turned his head to the left where the front desk was. However, there wasn't a librarian there. Hmm, maybe they're putting books away, Nico thought.

He strolled past people reading books, past children running around between shelves trying to find the perfect book, and past students doing their homework or typing away at their laptops. Nico peered into every single space between shelves. As he walked, memories of coming here overwhelmed him and it actually made him nostalgic.

Nico remembered coming here everyday after school and on the weekends. Most times he would find a new book to read and settle in on one of the beanbags in the corner of the kid section. Sometimes he would actually help out the librarian there. She was a sweet, old lady but would not hesitate to scold you if you were yelling or disturbing the rest of the people. Nico wondered if she was still working here now.

But that all changed in high school. Too much homework and tests and stress put a strain on Nico's free time. Plus his art classes and fencing lessons got in the way too. He came to library less and less until he didn't at all.

Then by chance, Nico found an overdue book nestled in between his old sketchbook and his history textbook. How it got there, Nico has no clue. But he took the opportunity to finally visit the library again, though he wasn't looking forward to paying the heavy fine on the book. Who knows how long it's been sitting there?

As he got to the non-fiction section, Nico spotted someone putting books away. He was tall, taller than Nico. His blonde hair shook a little as he bobbed his head along to whatever music he was listening to. Nico tried not to stare at the random person's figure but he couldn't help leave lingering glances on his arms whenever he lifted it up to return a book to its place.

Nico cleared his throat and the guy turned around and pulled out his earbuds. Hot damn, the librarian's hot, Nico thought. His blue eyes and blinding smile made Nico's heart pound.

"So, uh, I kinda need to return a library book," Nico said.

"Sure, follow me!" the librarian said cheerfully. Is he always this happy? Nico thought.

He followed the librarian over the front desk where he scanned Nico's book.

"It's...3 years overdue?" the librarian said, though it came out more as a question than a statement.

"Yeah, um, I kinda forgot to return it."

The librarian chuckled. "Well, the fine is off the charts." However, after seeing Nico's pained face he added, "But don't worry about. I'll let you off the hook. Ya know, anything for a cute guy."

Wait. Oh.

Nico tried not to blush but probably failed. "I, um, thanks."

The librarian laughed again. "No problem. So, where are you from. Do you go to school here?"

They ended up talking all the way till closing time. Nico found out that the librarian's name is Will and that he went to the same high school as him. Now thinking about it, Nico probably saw him in the hallways but he never paid attention.

Nico loved talking to Will. He made it so easy to let out everything but he knows when to stop when he gets to touchy subjects. He fills in the conversation for Nico and lets him add in any comments. He might have a crush on Will.

And it didn't help how cute Will was. Nico kept admiring his shiny blue eyes that twinkled whenever he talked about something interesting. And now that Nico got to study Will a little bit more, he could see freckles dotting his cheeks and nose.

After everyone left and it was only Nico and Will in the library, Nico had to say goodbye.

"So I have to get going. It's getting late," Nico said, though a bit reluctantly.

"Wait! Uh, would you want to go out with me? Ya know, on a date?" Will asked nervously.

Nico was surprised. But a good surprised. "Yeah, sure." Nico smiled and Will returned it with a smile of his own.

"Cool," Will breathed out.

Nico laughed a little. "Yeah, cool."