Thunder

Will found his roommate... interesting, to say the least. It's not like he had a lot of opportunities to learn more about him. It was as if Nico had a billion walls up around him and when Will tried breaking one down, Nico would just rebuild it twice as fast.

Will was naturally curious but he also respected boundaries. So he left his roommate be, even though he was a bit hurt that Nico didn't feel like talking to him. Of course, they would still greet each other in the morning and make a bit of small talk but that was it. Will wanted more but alas, Nico opening up to him seemed very far off.

That is, until one night, Nico came barging into his room at 2 AM in the morning. Will was already up, as the thunder outside was overbearingly loud. He gave up after an hour of trying to sleep through the noise. Still, someone barging into your room in the wee hours of the morning was enough to scare the shit out of Will.

The sound of his door banging open startled Will into looking up. And when he saw the dark figure standing creepily by his doorframe, Will screamed and fell off his bed, taking his blanket with him. He wildly groped his hand under his bed and found the baseball bat he kept there for this exact situation. He scrambled to his feet and pointed the bat at the intruder standing in his doorway. The heavy downpour continued outside, adding to the suspense.

"D-don't you dare try to rob me!" Will tried his best to be as menacing as possible but his bed head and pajamas with kittens printed on them probably ruined the whole effect. His hands shook as he quickly turned the lamp on right next to him, illuminating his room with light.

When the light finally revealed who the intruder was, Will almost collapsed from relief. It was just Nico.

"Oh my god," Will groaned, dragging a hand down his tired face. He let go of the bat and let it roll under his bed again. "Nico, what the hell?! You scared the crap outta me!"

Nico winced and kept his gaze away from Will. That's when Will noticed how small Nico looked at the moment. He was hugging his small frame with his arms and kept his head down low, his black hair covering his eyes.

"Uh, Nico? Are you okay?" Will asked, his voice now considerably lower. Something uneasy rose in his stomach. It was unnerving to see someone as cold as Nico to be this vulnerable.

Just then, a particularly loud thunderclap sounded, rattling the whole apartment. Will's heart jumped but stopped when he saw Nico yelp and look up at him with frantic eyes. Will immediately let his protective side take over and he strode over to Nico before encasing him in a tight hug.

The smaller boy was shaking badly. Will could feel his rapid heartbeat beating through his chest.

"Are you scared of thunderstorms?" Will asked gently, cradling the back of Nico's head.

Will felt Nico slowly nod and soon, he felt a pair of hands snake around his own waist. Will pulled back a little in surprise and looked down to see that Nico had wrapped his arms around him. He met Nico's big, round eyes and everything else seemed to be muted except for the thundering of his own heart.

But of course, Mother Nature chose that moment to send a loud rumble throughout the sky again, effectively breaking whatever moment Will and Nico were about to have. Nico jumped and curled his arms tighter around Will. Will gave Nico a sympathetic smile causing Nico to glare and look away, a light pink dusting his cheeks and ears.

"Can I stay with you a bit longer," Nico muttered, his face becoming redder by the second. If Will hadn't been so focused on Nico that moment, he might've missed what he said. But Will did hear it and at those words, Will's heart pumped faster, making him feel elated. Nico was asking him to comfort him.

And if this wasn't a momentous step in their lacking relationship, Will didn't know what was.

"Of course," Will assured. He pulled Nico's head into his chest and started to stroke the back of his head. Meanwhile, he felt Nico's breathing even out a bit and he was glad that Nico wasn't trembling as much anymore.

Every once in a while, lightning would flash through the stormy sky which was then inevitably followed by the roar of thunder. And each time Nico would whimper a little and and tighten his hold on Will. But every time, Will would comfort Nico as best as he could, offering words or reassurance of just providing comforting gestures.

They didn't know how long they were standing there in Will's room, just hugging each other. But eventually, the thunder stopped, leaving just the heavy rain pouring from the sky.

"Hey, Nico," Will whispered. When he didn't receive an answer, he gently pried Nico's arms off of him only to find that Nico fell asleep already. His eyes were closed, his lashes fanning out over his cheeks. The usual crease in between his eyebrows were gone and his mouth was slightly agape.

Will chuckled to himself. Nico actually fell asleep standing up in his arms. He didn't blame Nico though. The guy was probably terrified of thunderstorms and all that must've taken a toll on him. One day, he would find out why. But today was not the day.

So instead, he scooped Nico up bridal style, and carried him back to his own room. He had only entered Nico's room twice before, both times to try and find something he had misplaced. This time, he didn't attempt to observe his surroundings. Instead, he quickly located Nico's bed and set him down on it. Will sat down on the bed too and pulled the blanket over Nico's body.

Will stayed there for a moment, his mind racing. He hoped that Nico didn't regret letting Will past one of his many walls. He actually admired Nico for his bravery. It couldn't have been easy to ask for help when you're already feeling a bit helpless yourself. And he hoped that eventually, he could bypass all of his walls. But that was another thought for another day. He sighed as he brushed Nico's hair out of his face before he stood up and walked out of Nico's room, quietly shutting the door shut.

He padded his way over back to his room and fell onto his bed. The exhaustion finally caught up to him and now Will wanted to sleep more than ever. He passed out thinking about a certain black-haired roommate.

• • •

A/n: this was based off an au prompt generator thingy I found online. Pretty sure it's by tumblr user @/colormayfade

Y'all I think this came out better than expected? Also if you guys have any requests/prompts, feel free to comment em or message me cuz I'm thirsty for inspiration lmao

-Victoria :)

P.S. also this is part 69 for those of u who care ;)