Is Your Fridge Running?

It was 9 PM on a Tuesday and Nico was laying on his bed, his head propped up on his pillow. He was scrolling through his phone, bored out of his mind. His roommate, Jason, was often the source of his entertainment but tonight he was out on a date, leaving Nico on his own. He tried reaching a few of his other friends but to no avail. It was at times like these that a small part of Nico wanted to have more friends to hang out with. But the thought of talking to new people on his own was enough to push the thought of friends away.

Nico was currently watching a conspiracy theory video on YouTube (Nico now officially believes that the government faked the moon landing) when his ringtone rung out loudly. He dropped his phone on his face in surprise. He hissed in pain before picking it back up and looking at the caller ID. It was an unknown number. Strange. Seeing as he had nothing better to do, he accepted the call. "Hello?'

"Hey," the person on the other end said. "Is your fridge running?"

Nico rolled his eyes at the overused line. Seriously? A prank call? At least use something original. "Yes, and it's running all the way to your house to murder you," Nico deadpanned.

There was silence on the other end for a full minute. Nico was just about to hang up when the other person suddenly laughed. He just kept on laughing and wheezing and it was probably contagious because Nico found himself chuckling too. After the other person had apparently composed himself, he asked, "What the hell? That was seriously not an answer I was expecting." There was playful tone in his words.

"Well, you were the one that went with the 'is your fridge running' line. Really? That was the best you could come up with?" Nico countered, actually finding this amusing too. He sat up and leaned against the wall.

"Hey!" the other person said with mock hurt. "I was bored, okay? And plus, it was the only joke I could come up with at the time." Nico could hear some rustling, as if the other person was getting more comfortable.

There was a beat of silence. Nico didn't know why, but he didn't want this conversation to end. At least, not yet. "So, what's your name?" Nico asked.

"Will. Yours?"

"Nico."

Another moment of silence. Nico could hear Will breathing on the other side. After an excruciating amount of time, Nico was about to make up an excuse about how his phone was going to die when Will piped up. "So what do you do?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well," Will explained. "Do you have a job? Do you go to school? Wait, you're not, like, 12 years old, right?"

Nico laughed a little. "Don't worry," he assured. "I'm not 12. I'm actually 20 and I'm in college."

Nico heard Will breathe a sigh of relief. "Cool, I'm 21. I go to med school."

"Damn, med school?" Nico was slightly impressed. Everyone knew that med school was not easy.

"Yep, I'm trying to become a pediatrician. What are you majoring in?"

"Art," Nico said plainly. It didn't seem that impressive now that Will revealed he wanted to become a doctor. However, Will didn't seem to mind since he started gushing about it.

"Wow, really? I bet you're really talented. I can't draw, even if my life depended on it."

"You can't be that bad."

Will let out a snort. "Oh really? Once when I was in high school, I tried to draw a self-portrait and my art teacher literally thought I drew Bigfoot. She even said, 'Mr. Solace, I love the way you accentuated his hair.'"

Nico let out a huff of disbelief. "Oh my god, no she didn't."

Will laughed out loud, which made a smile appear on Nico's face. "Yeah, she actually did. Then I had to explain that it was actually me and not Bigfoot."

Nico started snickering. "Nevermind, maybe you are that bad," Nico teased. "So, Solace, huh? Will Solace, I like that."

"Thanks," Will said. "What's your full name?"

Nico didn't know what it was but he had a feeling that he could trust Will. "Nico di Angelo."

"di Angelo? Like an angel?"

"Yep," Nico replied, popping the "p". "I'm Italian."

"Woah, I've never met someone Italian. Do you know how to make pizza? Do you say 'Mamma Mia'? Are there actually people named Mario or Luigi?" Will rambled.

Nico scoffed. "Oh please, those are just stereotypes."

"But can you speak Italian?"

Nico stayed silent, not wanting to give in, but he could practically feel the anticipation on the other end. Nico rolled his eyes, though there was a small smile on his face. "Fine, I know how to speak Italian."

"Yes, I knew it!" Will exclaimed. Then there was a thud and an "oof" on the other end.

"Hey, Will, you okay?"

"I'm fine, I'm fine. I just fell off my bed." Will said, slightly out of breath.

Nico laughed. "You are such a dork."

"Hmph, say what you want, but at least I was right."

By now, Nico was laying on his back again, his phone practically glued to his ear. He looked up at the clock on top of his desk and saw that it was 10:30 PM. He had been talking to Will for over an hour. He had never felt so at ease talking to someone new. He actually found it enjoyable.

They spent the rest of the night learning more about each other. Nico would never imagine that he would willingly give up that much information to a stranger but Will didn't feel like a stranger. He exuded a special kind of comfort and familiarity, something that Nico hasn't felt in a long time. It was well past midnight when Nico let out a yawn, which he tried to cover up but Will heard it anyway. "Oh my god, I didn't even realize it was this late. You should probably get some sleep," Will said.

Nico could feel the sleep calling him, but he desperately wanted to hear more of Will's voice. So he did something unthinkable. He asked him out. "Okay, but before I pass out, would you maybe want to meet up somewhere? I know a great pizza place and if it's not too far from where you live, we could go together." Nico asked tentatively. Nico's heart was beating wildly and he felt his stomach drop as he waited for a response.

"Sure!" Will said excitedly. Nico smiled so hard, it was a miracle that it wasn't permanently stuck on his face. They figured out that he didn't live that far away from the pizza place and they settled on a date and time.

"I can't wait for our date!" Will gushed.

Nico let out an airy laugh. "Me too. Goodnight Will."

"Goodnight Nico." And with that they hung up. Nico fell asleep with a giddy feeling in his chest and a big grin on his face. He couldn't help but feel hopeful for the future and what was in store for him and Will.

-----

A/n: heyo! I hoped you liked this one! Also an important disclaimer: never give away personal information to random people you don't know. I had to make Nico and Will tell each other personal stuff for the sake of the story but keep in mind that in real life, it's not the safest or smartest decision.

-Victoria :)