Halloween Time

(partly inspired by the pic above - credit: musicofthenightphantomoftheopera on tumblr)

Camp Half-Blood was in full-out Halloween mode. It was currently nighttime and all around the camp were fairy lights hung up in the coloring trees. The Demeter kids grew a pumpkin patch so campers could carve their own jack-o-lanterns. The Hermes cabin volunteered to give away candy, though nobody could really be sure that the candy wasn't untouched.

Everyone was dressed up in a costume. Most went all out like Percy and Annabeth, who were dressed up as Ariel and Prince Eric (Percy was Ariel and Annabeth was Prince Eric). Nico and Will were also wearing matching costumes. Will had knocked on Nico's cabin door on Halloween eve with a black flower crown in his hand. When Nico had opened his door, Will placed the flower crown onto his head and declared that they would be Hades and Persephone but with a twist. Nico begrudgingly agreed and let Will rifle through his clothes. He ended up wearing some of Nico's clothes complete with a black robe.

Nico and Will were walking around camp with their hands intertwined. Nico was resting his head on Will's shoulder while Will occasionally planted a kiss in the Nico's hair. They admired the decorations and the homey feeling that was usually associated with fall. Every once in a while, they would talk to other campers and Nico may have been using that time to not-so-subtly stare at Will's golden hair and sparkling blue eyes that were illuminated by the fairy lights.

They stopped in front of the haunted maze that the Hephaestus cabin and the Hecate cabin had so graciously built. It was advertised with signs that said "VERY SCARY", "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK", and "SLIGHT CHANCE OF DEATH". Nico looked up at Will. "Wanna go in?"

Will gulped. "Yeah, sure."

Nico studied Will for a moment. His eyes held some apprehension in them. "Are you scared, Solace?" Nico teased, a smug grin on his face.

"Maybe, but I'll have you to protect me," Will said, shooting Nico a loving look.

Nico blushed. "Yeah, yeah. Let's go in!" Nico declared. He took Will's hand and dragged him into the maze.

-----

Will was very much scared and it hadn't even been a full five minutes yet. He clung onto Nico's arm tightly. Will was slightly convinced that if he didn't, he would be dragged away by whatever demons that were lurking in the dark. Fun Halloween music was playing from hidden speakers. The maze was dimly lit by ghost shaped lanterns hanging around. But Will didn't trust the childish facade. Knowing the Hephaestus and Hecate cabin, they probably added something extra.

Nico on the other hand was humming "Ghostbusters" and strolling along casually. Of course the son of Hades would have no problem with a haunted maze. Nico could probably summon something scarier than whatever was in store for them. Together, the two maneuvered the grassy hedges, making random turns and turning back whenever they hit a dead end. Once in a while, a cardboard cutout of a ridiculously cute, fluffy monster would pop out of a corner and roar to life out of nowhere. Will would scream and yelp while Nico would chuckle and comfort Will (though Will might've exaggerated a bit of his reactions so that he could hold onto Nico more). Then there was one time when a whole bucket of fake plastic spiders dropped onto Will's head and he may or may not have screeched really loudly and jumped into Nico's arms.

"Huh, this isn't so bad," Will said when they were almost out of the maze. But his shaky voice and his wobbly legs betrayed his statement. He turned his head around to look at Nico but found that he had disappeared. Immediately, panic started bubbling in his stomach. Where did he go? He called out Nico's name several times but each time he got no response. He looked around fervently for a way out, the fear was slowly overtaking him. He had just turned a corner when something jumped onto his back.

"AHHH!" Will dropped the person onto the ground

"Oh.. My.. Gods!"

Will turned around to find Nico, rolling around in the grass and holding his stomach. He was laughing uncontrollably and Will loved it, even if the laughter was directed at him. Nico looked beautiful at that moment, his features more softly blended together in the dim light. His smile practically made Will's heart leap out of his chest because when Nico smiled fully, it took over his whole face.

Will tackled Nico and said with a pout, "That wasn't very funny."

Nico laughed again. "I beg to differ. Your scream was music to my ears."

"Your laugh is music to my ears."

Nico stared at Will, his cheeks slowly turning a combination of pink and red. Will noticed how close they were and his eyes flickered down to Nico's lips. He didn't know who started it but suddenly they were kissing. Will smiled against Nico's mouth. The haunted maze wasn't so bad.

-----

Nico and Will ended up getting kicked out of the haunted maze by Lou Ellen when she found them making out on the ground. "Run along, love birds," she had said with a smile. Will had laughed and grabbed a flustered Nico before running out of the maze and into the bustling camp again. Will then lead Nico to a blanket and picnic basket that was set out by the lake.

"Oh, what's this?" Nico asked curiously.

"Well," Will said as he reached into the basket and pulled out a big piece of pumpkin pie. "I thought we could have a little late night snack together." He placed the slice of pie in between them and smiled at Nico shyly. Nico gave Will a small smile, his eyes filled to the brim with affection.

"I also brought a pack of Mythomagic cards so we could play," Will added. Nico's eyes lit up and he bounced around excitedly.

"Really?" Nico asked, his eyes wide and in awe.

Will laughed at Nico's eagerness and pulled out a pack of Mythomagic cards. They played the card game and ate pieces of pumpkin pie in between rounds. They laughed and had fun when they got tired, they lied down on the blanket together and stared up at the stars. Nico cuddled into Will's side while Will wrapped his arms around Nico's waist.

"So, you like this Halloween date we had?" Will asked.

"Best Halloween ever," Nico mumbled, already getting sleepy. Will placed a peck onto his forehead before settling in again. They ended up falling asleep together with smiles on both their faces.

-----

A/n: Happy Halloweenie guysss! If you're going trick-or-treating tonight, make sure to stay safe and have a spoopy time!

Also quick note: the reason I didn't make the haunted maze super scary and overboard was because I figured that most campers would have PTSD or something similar to that (from all the quests and fighting and wars) so I figured that something more subdued like cardboard cutouts were a better fit. Kinda like the cardboard cutouts in Monsters University except instead of humans, they're fluffy monsters.

Again, have a spoopy Halloween!!

-Victoria :)