A Night on the Beach

"Pssst."

Nico shifted and snuggled further into the bed.

"Psssssst."

Nico grumbled and mumbled a "what".

"Wanna go on an adventure?" Will asked his sleepy boyfriend.

Nico lifted his head and squinted at Will beside him. Then he checked the time on his phone, wincing at the brightness.

"1:34 AM?!" Nico squeaked. He turned back around and found Will's face inches from his. Will was sitting criss-crossed on the bed next to him.

"Yep," Will said brightly as if it was normal to go out at 1:30 in the morning.

Nico tried for a glare but he couldn't muster up an effective one. It was way too early and plus, the hopeful look on Will's face chipped away his hard exterior.

"Fine," Nico relented with a small smile. He knew better than to argue with his boyfriend when he had made up his mind. Will was just as stubborn as him.

Will whooped and jumped out of bed. "Let's go!"

"Wait, but where are we going?" Nico asked as he sat up and rubbed his eyes.

Will turned around, his eyes sparkling and his mouth quirking up into a smirk. "It's a surprise."

• • •

"The beach?" Nico asked as Will parked the car in the street next to the boardwalk.

"Yep!" Will replied as he opened the car door and got out. Nico followed suit.

It was dark outside, save for the occasional street lamp. As expected, the streets were void of any people. Well, except for Will and Nico.

"C'mon, follow me. I know a great spot on the beach where you can see the stars better." Will claimed excitedly. His face became one of anticipation and excitement.

Nico smiled fondly before responding. "Well, it better be good enough to wake me up this early," Nico threatened light-heartedly. He had no doubt that whatever Will had planned would blow him away.

Will grabbed Nico's hand and started leading them down the boardwalk and into the actual beach. "Don't worry. It's gonna be amazing."

They walked along the shoreline further and further away from the main area. They had long abandoned their shoes and opted for holding them in their hands while walking barefoot in the sand. Their tank tops and hair ruffled in the light breeze as they strolled across the beach.

After a few more minutes, Will led Nico to a secluded area behind a huge rock that one wouldn't notice unless they were looking hard enough. The sand in this area was practically untouched. There wasn't even a single piece of garbage littering it. The only light was the moon that made the surface of the ocean glitter. They dropped their shoes and stood there, admiring the place.

"Wow, where did you even find this place?" Nico asked in awe. His inner kid was slowly coming out at the revelation of finding a secret hideout.

Will smiled proudly. "Actually, I accidentally stumbled upon here when I was trying to find somewhere to bring you. It is, after all, our one year anniversary today. I just couldn't wait to bring you here."

Nico swiveled his head to stare at Will in shock. Will was standing right behind him, his smug grin now replaced with a soft one.

"I can't believe I didn't remember," Nico mumbled, looking at Will's chest. "I'm sorry."

Will brought his hands to Nico's shoulders. "Hey, there's no need to be sorry. Besides, I did wake you up at 1 AM in the morning so I doubt you would be thinking much." Will assured, his voice teasing.

Nico looked up at Will and huffed, though his eyes held a playful gleam in them. "What do you mean I wouldn't be thinking much?"

Will looked away innocently and batted his eyes. "Nothing." Then he started running towards the ocean while also rolling up his pants.

"Hey, come back here!" Nico laughed as he chased after him.

They splashed around in the water with Nico trying to catch Will, who was always just out of reach.

"Come and get me!" Will taunted as he kicked water at Nico.

Nico, who was undeterred by the splashing, barreled ahead to where Will was and tackled him onto the sand. Nico rolled off of Will with a groan while Will held his stomach from laughing so much. Soon enough, Nico joined in and now both of them were gasping for more air.

After a while, their giggles died down and Will turned to the side to talk to Nico. "So, you like this place?"

Nico tried to keep his face stoic. "Hmm, I don't know," Nico answered, trying to keep his oncoming smile from appearing.

Will gasped and rolled on top of Nico, his forearms propped up on either side of Nico's head so that they were face to face. Nico's heart sped up. As they stared at each other, Nico concluded that Will's eyes could rival the ocean right now. The deep, blue color and the sparkles in them were just like how the moon illuminated the sea. Yeah, the ocean had nothing on Will.

"Are you sure you don't want to change your answer?" Will whispered.

Nico didn't know what he was talking about until he realized he was referring to the question he had asked earlier. This time, Nico left his smile out in the open and replied, "I love this place. But I love you more."

"Love ya too," Will mumbled before leaning down and planting a kiss on Nico's lips. Will let his arms slip under Nico's head, supporting him, and Nico wrapped his arms around Will's neck, pulling him closer. They kissed and they kissed until they both ran out of breath and eventually had to break apart.

They smiled at each other before Will flopped back down beside Nico and together, they stared up at the stars dotting the night sky.

• • •

A/n: Oof we hit 5k reads?! Thank y'all so much!!!

Midterms are coming up and mmmmm gotta love stress! Ahhh okay wish me luck and I hope you guys have a nice day!

-Victoria :)