Epilogue

Song: Ed Sheeran - Perfect [Leroy Sanchez cover]

•••

In the end, love prevails.
Always.

- Raazia Tabassum

•••

Two years later...

Member of The Francescantonio

September 3, 2018

Unborn but at peace

             We placed our flowers over the small gravestone and as Ava knelt to the ground, her hand reached closer to the cold marble, I didn't see remorse or grief in the least traumatic manner. She was calm, as if she knew our baby was at peace. Even if it was never born.

The loss was something we had never imagined but as years passed by, we learned to make the most of it. Only to feel grateful and contentment with each gifted fate of us together. It's overwhelming, how we are here, together at one place of our new beginning.

Ava brushed her fingers over the head stone, memorising it again like never before. There was a smile on her face as she kissed the top of the marble gravestone which was surrounded by a field of orchids. The massive quarter reflected the misery of other people.

And that was how change happened. One gesture, one person, one moment at a time.

"I can't believe it's been two years," she spoke, facing the grave. The air had turned oppressive, viscous with charged ozone and a stifling humidity. On the horizon, patches of pale sunlight shone through the grey clouds, attempting a last chance against the dull weather.

I nodded even though she was not looking at me and crouched next to her. Minutes passed and with each silenced thoughts, I knew what was going through her mind. We had to leave, the event starts the next day and it would be the first time of her taking part in a competition after two years.

"So, when will we visit again?" Ava asked as we walked out of the cemetery. I took her closer to the helicopter which has been waiting since we arrived. I might as well make an attempt to dodge her waiting question but however, Ava was not someone to be left unanswered.

"Very soon," I told her, flashing her a smile so she would not assume it as a lie.

I don't think I would want to come back here, not very soon. Because I definitely don't feel good being there, it was reminding myself of so many bad things that has caused years ago.

Her face twisted, annoyed at my blatant expression. "Liar. Do that again and I will leave you in Perth and go back to London."

"Ah, that's a harmless threat." I shook my head, securing the seat belts around her, already planning where I would be taking her next.

Once I was done, I closed the doors and sat down in my seat, hearing her mutter something grumpily in a low tone.

The helicopter started to leave and when I looked down at her face, noticing that she has gotten slightly chubby and much more beautiful in a span of time, I couldn't help but make a little note to self that I would love this precious soul to the very last second of my life and maybe even after so—if God let me.