Book II - | 17 |

You cannot accelerate past this very moment -- You will arrive there only when you have arrived here.

- Seeker

•••

Ava

        The wedding was in the late afternoon. The area faced the breathtaking sunset. At the end of each seated aisle, jasmine scented candles hung from naked tree branches. Spread down the aisle was white leaves, as far as the eyes could see, slightly moist so they wouldn’t crack when you stepped on them. On either side of the aisle, white chairs were set up for the guests.

I was wearing a dress which Aaron gifted me. He had left a box in our room, knowing I didn't really have anything suitable to wear. I was observing this beautiful place when I heard someone calling out my name.

"Ava Knights?"

I turned around, finding a man in his late 40s' who stood tall and strong in front of me. I involuntarily took a step back, "Yes?"

He pursed his lips as if in a deep thought, his eyes narrowed while he continued to keep staring at me. I wouldn't have turned nervous but this kind of gesture was definitely making me uncomfortable. He almost looked familiar to someone I know, almost.

"Is anything wrong?" I asked him. He doesn't answer, instead he turned back and walked away into the crowd of people.

Okay, that was weird.

I shrugged and walked near the bushes, quietly waiting for someone to show up. Where the hell were everyone? Did these Spanish people always come late?

The phone started to ring right at that moment and I prayed it shouldn't be that old man. And thankfully, it wasn't. It was Mom. Smiling, I answered the phone and placed it next to my ear.

"Hi, Mom."

"Ava! Good Lord. How are you, baby? Is everything okay there? I'm still mad at you for leaving London. How is Drake?" She exclaimed and asked hurriedly in a worried tone.

"We are good, Everything is good I guess. . . I have come to Spain-"

"Spain?" She cut me, "Why? You were supposed to be in Italy."

"I know, Aaron insisted to come-"

"You are back with him?" She sounded shocked. But I didn't know how I could tell her about everything that has happened till now. It was not real, well at least not for me. And then again, Mom doesn't have to know that.

"Sort of," I replied, carefully.

She stayed silent for few seconds, "Are you happy? After everything he put you through, I don't want you to be with him again. I believed he was a nice person. But he is a mafia for God's sake! You are not safe, Ava."

"Mom," I sighed. "I'm safe, just please do-don't worry about me. Okay? Drake is with me, I will be fine."

"Come back home." She said after a while. My mom was not someone who was persistent, not like this.

"Soon, Mom. I promise."

"Good. You better don't keep me waiting for too long."

I chuckled, "Of course. Anyway, we should visit Spain more often. It's beautiful."

"Nah, I have been there. It wasn't really impressive, so. . ."

"You are just saying that so I will return soon." I grinned, touching the flowers arranged beside the aisle. I looked back when I caught a shadow hovering me, finding that beast who barely let me to have any sleep last night. I swear my eye bags were very evident when I woke up.