cxii | whit merrifield

de-stressed

Melea glanced at the clock on her bedside table as she heard the door open, signaling that her boyfriend, Whit, was home

Melea glanced at the clock on her bedside table as she heard the door open, signaling that her boyfriend, Whit, was home. Her jaw almost dropped. Since when had it been past midnight?

Melea had been stressed out of her mind for the past couple of days. She was in her senior year of college and was tasked with studying for her final exam. So, she had spent what felt like days on end looking over the same content countless times. 

Whit, on the other hand, had been out of college for a couple years but understood how stressful big tests could be. He dealt with stress every day--he was a major league baseball player, after all--so he tried his best to support her through her tough endeavor. 

Melea knew that Whit would be slightly disappointing to see her awake at that time of night. He was always concerned for her well being, and sleep was an important part of that. Melea greatly appreciated that he cared for her so much, but sometimes she wished he wasn't so worried all of the time.

"What are you doing up?" Whit questioned softly and Melea looked up at him. He looked tired like he usually did after games. His team, the Royals, had lost, there wasn't much to get excited about anyway. Still, Melea thought he looked cute. She never understood how he managed to look so good while tired, while Melea looked like a horrid zombie.

"Studying," she replied, looking back down at her notes. 

"Oh, Melea," he spoke, walking over to her bed and sitting down on the side of it, "you need to sleep, babe."

"I know," she replied with a heavy sigh. "I didn't even realize how late it was."

Whit leaned over, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "I hate seeing you so stressed."

"I just want to do well, y'know?" Melea replied, smiling slightly.

"I know. I think everyone is afraid of failure. But you'll do amazing, I promise you. You're a smart girl and you're going to kick this test's ass." He smiled back at her. "Now what do you say we call it a night? I'm sure you're almost as tired as I am."

Slightly reluctantly, Melea nodded. She tucked all over her notes back into her folder before placing it on the carpet next to her bed. Whit had already climbed under the covers and was smiling over at her, waiting for her to join him.

"What are you smiling at?" she asked.

"You look beautiful."

She rolled her eyes at him before leaning over to give him a short kiss. "I'll be right back," she informed before leaving the bedroom.

Melea made her way to the bathroom, taking her hair out of its awful messy bun and brushing her teeth before leaving. She had no clue how Whit still thought she looked beautiful when she was so tired. She was a real mess, but he somehow thought she was beautiful nonetheless.

She slid into bed next to him and he immediately pulled her close. She smiled, hiding her face in his chest.

"I'm really proud of you, y'know that?" Whit said, pressing another kiss to her forehead.

Melea snorted. "Please, if there's anyone you should be proud of, it's yourself. I mean, look at you. You're living out your dream."

"Melea, I would love nothing more than to watch you do the same."

melea is such a gorgeous name oh my

07.30.18