xcvii | rick porcello

RUIN THE SURPRISE | for MeaganMeade

-

(Your Name) shivered, sighing as she watched the fans slowly file out of the stadium. It was the bottom of the ninth inning, and though the score was close, the Red Sox fans that filled Fenway Park knew what was to come; the Houston Astros were going to beat the Boston Red Sox in the ALDS.

(Your Name) glanced over at Drew Pomeranz's wife, Carolyn, who was watching them leave as well. The only reason the two were still at the park was to support their partners.

(Your Name) had been dating Rick Porcello for almost 5 years. They had gotten married during the last off-season, just a short year prior. Since then, Rick's mom had been asking them when they were going to have kids.

Though they had only talked about it briefly, Rick seemed alright with the idea. (Your Name) had seemed a little more keen on the idea, and that was why when she had found out she was pregnant, she was ecstatic. Though she hadn't told Rick yet, she had told a few people, including Carolyn and Rick's teammate, Christian Vazquez, who had been her best friend for almost as long as Rick and (Your Name) had been dating.

(Your Name) sighed as the Astros recorded the final out, securing their spot in the ALCS. She couldn't even watch as they celebrated on the field.

"At least they won one," Carolyn noted as she stood up, slinging her purse over her shoulder.

"Yeah," (Your Name) sighed, "I guess so."

-

Rick sighed, tossing his hat into his locker. They clubhouse was oddly silent as the players filed in, letting the tough loss sink in. It was yet another early exit for the Red Sox in the postseason, and surely the whole team was frustrated.

"Next year," Christian grumbled from beside Rick as he unbuttoned his jersey. "There's always next year."

"Yeah," he replied quietly, doing the same. "There's always next year."

Christian shrugged. "Well, next season might turn out to be a special season for you."

As soon as he said it, Christian regretted it. Rick blinked in confusion and surprise, turning towards Christian. "What?"

"I mean," he trailed off, knowing he shouldn't tell the truth. He knew (Your Name) would be upset with ruining the surprise, but he knew Rick would bother him to no end if Christian didn't tell him. "(Your Name)'s pregnant, Rick. She was planning to tell you when you got home."

Throughout meetings with the media, Rick couldn't focus; he was thinking about what Christian had told him. He had wanted to start a family with (Your Name), but he wasn't sure how she felt about it, so he never brought it up. If what Christian said was correct, the loss would have mattered much less; he was going to be a father.

When he saw (Your Name), she didn't say anything. She just walked over to him, wrapping her arms around him. She held onto him for a few moments before pulling away, smiling at him.

"Next year."

He nodded.

Afterwards, the two headed home. Usually, Rick would be tired after games like this and want to do nothing but sleep as soon as he arrived home, but he was too anxious for (Your Name)'s announcement. He desperately wanted what Christian had told him to be true, and when they sat on the couch in silence, Rick knew exactly what was coming.

"Rick, I have to tell you something," she spoke up, glancing over at him before looking away.

"Alright," Rick replied, prompting her to go on.

"I'm pregnant."

-------------------------------

i'm so conflicted on what to do with this book rn

11.23.17