lxxxiv | dansby swanson

LEMONDROPS | for -swanson

-

As soon as the front door of her apartment opened, Layla's heart sank. She could hear her boyfriend, Dansby, drop his bag on the floor and trudge into the living room.

She looked up at him apologetically. They both knew what was happening; the Atlanta Braves had sent him down to their Triple-A team, the Gwinnett Braves. 

"I guess you heard, huh," he said, flopping down on the couch next to her.

"Yeah," she told him, "I'm sorry, Dansby."

"Don't be sorry. It's not a surprise," he said, glancing over at her. "I couldn't hit a beach ball right now."

"You know that's not true," she argued. "You'll just spend a little bit of time adjusting and you'll be back up in no time, alright?" Dansby nodded. "And think, I won't be that far away. I can still watch you play, just like I usually do."

"It won't be the same," he told her.

"You know that I am going to be proud of you no matter what," she said, reaching out to take his hand. "Everyone has their struggles. You're going to snap out of this slump, I promise you that."

"I want to believe that."

"And you should." She kissed him on the cheek. "I'm gonna go make popcorn. We're having a movie night."

"Says who?" Dansby questioned, raising an eyebrow at her.

Layla smiled, seeing that she had succeeded in cheer Dansby up slightly. "Says me. Decide on a movie, I'll be right back."

By the time she returned, Dansby had chosen one of their favorite movies, The Rookie. She sat next to him, leaning into his side. He wrapped one arm around her waist and grabbed a handful of popcorn with the other. He kissed the top of her head and she smiled to herself. Surely, Dansby was feeling better.

-
It can be great
It can be good
But it can get worse
Before it gets better
-

Dansby looked up at Layla as she exited the hospital room. She looked over at him, trying to hold back tears. He walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tightly. She hugged back, hiding her face in his chest.

"How is she?" he questioned as she pulled away from him.

"She has a brain tumor, Dansby," Layla sobbed. "They don't know how long she'll make it."

Dansby's heart sunk; Layla's mom was one of the nicest and most genuine people he had ever met.

"I'm so sorry," he told Layla.

"It's okay. There's nothing we can do about it," she said, attempting a smile.

"Can we see her?" Dansby questioned, wiping her tears away.

Layla nodded before walking back into the room. Dansby followed her in, walking slowly.

Her mother was laying on the bed, watching TV. When she spotted the two walk in, she smiled.

"Ah, there's my favorite boy," she said, smiling at Dansby.

"Hello, ma'am," he greeted quietly.

"I assume you've heard the news, huh," she said, looking away.

Dansby nodded. "How are you feeling?

"I'm feeling fine, though the doctors say that won't be true for long." The room was silent for a long moment. "Can I talk to you privately, Dansby?"

"Of course," he agreed, a bit confused.

"I'll step out for a moment," Layla said before leaving the room.

Her mom gestured for him to come closer, which he did. He sat down in the chair next to her bed.

"You're an amazing man, Dansby," she began with a smile. "I truly believe that you're the one for Layla. I want you to know that even if I'm gone, it would make me so happy to see you two get married. I believe that you are the person that she's going to spend the rest of her life with."

"Thank you," he said quietly, slightly unsure of what to say. "You have no idea how much that means to me."

"You care about her like no other. I'll always admire you for that."

"We take care of each other," he said with a smile. "We always will."

---------------------------------

i'm sorry for not updating for a couple days i've had no motivation and i've been swamped with hw

11.07.17