lxxxix | max fried

DON'T GO | for dansbyswanson

-

"I don't want you to go, Max," (Your Name) told him, looking over at her best friend with pain in her eyes.

"I know," he sighed, looking over at her with a sympathetic expression. "But this is my dream, (Your Name). I'm finally going to be playing professional baseball."

She nodded, looking away. "I know that, and I'm incredibly proud of you, but I can't help but want you to stay."

"I wish I could," he told her, "but you can visit sometimes. We'll still keep in touch."

"Yeah, but it's not the same," she said, blinking away tears, "and it never will be."

That night, she stayed over at his house. For (Your Name), it was bittersweet, because she knew that he would be on his way to Washington to play baseball in the morning. He had been drafted by the San Diego Padres and was going to play for their Single-A team.

In their 15 years of knowing each other, they had never slept in the same bed, but that night they both fell asleep sprawled out on the bed in Max's room. (Your Name) ended up laying on top of him, and throughout the night Max had kept his arms around her like he didn't want to let go of her or move away, even if he was following his dream.

Much to (Your Name)'s surprise, she woke up in his arms. He was still asleep when she woke, and though she was incredibly embarrassed at the close contact she didn't want to wake him. So, she tried to go back to sleep, ignoring the feeling of his body pressed against hers.

She was woken up again when he began moving under her. She groaned, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as she rolled off him. She expected him to get up, but all he did was roll over to face her.

"Good morning," he greeted with a smile.

"Good morning," she muttered back.

Within the next couple of hours, Max, (Your Name), and Max's family were at the airport to send Max off. (Your Name) tried not to cry as he hugged them all, preparing to say goodbye for the next couple of months. She still didn't want him to leave.

Finally, he got to her. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes, smiling as he hugged her tightly, not wanting to let her go. However, he knew he had to eventually, and nothing he did or said would change that.

Months later, (Your Name) was on her way to Washington. She was going to surprise Max before one of his games. They hadn't seen each other since he had left and (Your Name) missed him like crazy.

Her whole body shook as she walked into the small stadium that he had grown to call his home field. She looked around the field, trying to spot him. When she did, her heart skipped a beat. He was walking back from the bullpen, his head down and baseball cap covering his face. He looked up only when (Your Name) called his name. He jogged towards her with a large smile on his face.

Hours later, when the game was over, they met again. (Your Name) smiled as she walked up to Max. Instead of hugging her, like she had expected him to do, he leaned in and kissed her.

---------------------------------

if you like hockey and haven't already checked out my new jake debrusk book, 'daisy,' you totally should because i'm really excited for it!

11.14.17