christian yelich

AGAINST THE RULES | for justjessiefootball

-

"I can't believe he actually bought the team," Jess said, tapping her fingers on the desk in front of her.

"Yeah, me neither," Christian, her best friend, replied from over the phone. "It should be good for us. Your father was an exceptional baseball player."

The man he was referring to was none other than her father and Yankees legend Derek Jeter. After weeks of discussion, he had bought the Miami Marlins.

Jess Jeter had grown up around baseball; she couldn't imagine life without it. She knew the ins and outs of the game like the back of her hand. There was no way around it; baseball was her dad's life and it had become hers.

Through her dad, she was able to meet many players. She found it easy to befriend them, and she had become especially friendly with Christian Yelich of the Miami Marlins. He was the one she had kept in touch with the most. They had become close friends, and for that reason, she was very excited that her father was going to be the new owner of the team he played for.

"He's an exceptional person," Jess agreed.

"Jess!" her father called from downstairs.

"Speak of the devil. He's calling me," she said. "I'll see you at the field?"

"Of course," Christian responded.

"Later, Yelich," she said, smiling.

"Later."

She hung up, shoving her phone in the back pocket of her jeans as she looked in the mirror. She adjusted the Yelich jersey she was wearing: Christian had recently bought it for her to wear when she came to games. Deciding that she looked good, she headed downstairs.

"Ready to go?" Derek questioned, twisting the doorknob on the front door.

"Yep," Jess responded.

He opened the door and she followed him outside, pulling her phone out of her pocket as she locked and closed the door behind her. Her phone went off, causing her to look down.

Snapchat
from Yeli👑💞

She quickly opened the app, tapping the red box that appeared next to his name. She laughed at the picture he had sent her. It appeared that he had just gotten out of the shower and dried his hair, as he didn't have a shirt on. However, he had somehow gotten his hair to stand up almost completely straight.

She took a picture of her smiling, typing 'cute' as she got into the passenger side of her dad's car. She turned the radio up, humming along to the beat.

Jess would be lying if she said she didn't have feelings for Christian. He was incredibly kind to her and an all-around nice person, and, not to mention, cute. Christian had a natural charm that she found hard to resist. However, she was sure her dad wouldn't approve of her being in a relationship with any of the players.

Once the two arrived at Marlins Park, Jess had plenty of time to spare. Her dad always liked arriving at the ballpark early, even when he was playing. Therefore, Jess spent a few hours going over film with a few of the coaches. Though she hadn't been allowed to play baseball beyond middle school, she knew the game like she'd been playing her whole life. The coaches always enjoyed having her around for input.

Before she knew it, she was out on the field for BP. Her dad had allowed her to sit in close to the dugout with him, so she was able to watch BP from up close, which she had done many times.

"Christian!" she called, catching the brunette's attention as he walked up the dugout steps. He smiled when he spotted her, jogging over to where she and her dad were sitting.

"Hey, Jess," he greeted her before turning to Derek. "Nice to see you, sir."

"Likewise, Christian," he responded.

"Is that my jersey I see?" Christian asked Jess.

She smiled. "Of course!" She spun around, showing him his last name and number that was printed on the back of the jersey. "It fits perfectly. Thank you so much, Christian."

"My pleasure," he said with a smile.

They talked for a minute more before Christian left to hit. As soon as he was out of range, Derek turned to Jess.

"Rule number one," he began, holding up a finger, "no dating the players."

Jess rolled her eyes. "I didn't even do anything, Dad."

"I can tell when my own daughter likes someone," he responded.

"I'm 22. Even if I did like him, I'm old enough to decide who I date for myself."

That night, when Jess was just about to go to sleep, she received a FaceTime call from Christian. Fixing her hair quickly, she accepted the call.

"Hey," he said with a smile. He was laying in bed, though he seemed to still be dressed.

"Hi," she greeted. "Good game today."

"Thanks." Silence fell between them for a few moments. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," Jess replied, running her fingers through her hair.

"Do you want to go out sometime?" he questioned. "Like, on a date."

"I'd love that, Christian, but..." She trailed off, not wanting to turn him down.

"Jess, if I cared what your dad though, I wouldn't be asking you," Christian said. "He doesn't control you, and he certainly doesn't control me."

After thinking for a moment, Jess smiled. "Then I'll take you up on your offer, Yelich. When are you free?"

For a moment, she thought she could hear him quietly celebrate.

--------------------------------

i have 2.5 days of school this week tf

10.15.17