lxxxvii | jd martinez

EMERGENCY | for Sports_Fanatic10

-

"Why are we here and not at the game tonight?" Jess questioned as she looked over at her best friend, Sarah.

"Because JD is paranoid and wouldn't let me go," Sarah replied, rolling her eyes playfully. Sarah was nine months pregnant and her husband, JD, was paranoid that she'd go into labor any second. He was afraid that she'd go into labor at one of his games and she wouldn't be able to get to the hospital in time.

"I don't blame him," Jess said, looking down at Sarah's stomach. "You look like you're about to burst."

"I know," she groaned. "I can't wait until I can finally wear my clothes again."

Jess chuckled. "No more shopping trips for a while, huh?"

Laughing, Sarah shook her head.

For a while longer, they watched JD's game on the TV. He played in the major leagues for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Sarah was devoted to getting to every home game and even many of the away games. However, JD had been stopping her from going to games because of his paranoia when it came to the baby, so she was stuck watching the games from the couch in their shared home.

As the game continued into the final inning, Sarah felt something that made her stop mid-sentence.

"Jess," she said, staring at her friend with wide eyes.

"Yeah?" she questioned, looking over at Sarah in confusion.

"My water just broke."

Jess stared at her for a moment. "Oh my god. What do I do?"

"Get me to the hospital, Jess!" she yelled, startling Jess. She jumped up, helping Sarah out of her chair. "And call JD."

Jess rushed Sarah into the passenger seat of Jess' car before hopping on the driver's side. She dialed JD before speeding out of the driveway. Of course, JD didn't pick up, so Jess left him a frantic message before hanging up. Sarah grabbed onto Jess' arm, digging her nails into her skin.

"I'm driving as fast as I can," Jess said. "I am not getting pulled over while you're in labor."

-

The first thing JD did when the game ended was check his phone. When he saw that Jess had left a message, his heart immediately began to race. He pressed his phone to his ear and as soon as he heard the words 'water broke,' he shut off his phone. He practically sprinted across the clubhouse to his teammate, Paul Goldschmidt, who had given him a ride to the field.

"Paul!" he exclaimed, "I need you to drive me to the hospital."

"What! Why?" Paul questioned, obviously slightly shocked and confused.

"Sarah just went into labor."

The two didn't even bother to take showers. They let their manager know why they were leaving before changing and hurrying to Paul's car. They jumped inside before speeding to the hospital, which was luckily nearby.

JD rushed into the hospital, practically slamming his hands down on the front desk.

"Where is Sarah Martinez's room?"

Just hours later, JD was sitting next to Sarah's hospital bed, watching as Sarah held their daughter.

"She's gorgeous," Sarah gushed, smiling down at her.

"Yeah," JD agreed, "she really is."

-----------------------------

i really need to write about jd more

11.11.17