paul dejong

PROM | for mminnelli

-

"Maddy, when is Paul going to ask you to prom?" Lila, Maddy's best friend, asked. "He's running out of time."

Maddy sighed. "I don't think he's going to ask me at all," she said. "As far as I know, he's not even going."

Maddy had had what Lila referred to as a "thing" for Paul Dejong since they had been paired up in chemistry. Prom was a short week and a half away, and Lila had convinced Maddy that Paul was going to ask her to go with him.

"There's no way! It's Senior year!" Lila exclaimed.

"I know," Maddy whined, putting her head down on the table.

"Hey, Maddy!" She looked up at the voice to see Paul walking towards her.

"Paul? I didn't know you had a free period," Maddy said as he sat down across from her.

"I don't. We were just let out of class early," Paul explained. Maddy nodded.

"I'll be right back," Lila said, winking at Maddy before walking away. Maddy rolled her eyes before looking over at Paul, who looked confused.

"Ignore her," she said. Paul laughed and nodded.

Maddy tapped her pen on the table, trying to focus on the math worksheet in front of her. However, with Paul sitting across from her and the topic of prom fresh on her mind, she found it hard to focus.

"Hey, Paul, are you going to prom?" she questioned. He looked up at her, a little taken aback by her question.

"I plan to," he said. "Why?"

"Just wondering," she answered, going back to writing. Halfway through a problem, she blurted, "Do you have a date?"

"Um, not yet," he answered, looking away. "I haven't gotten the guts to ask her."

"Whoever the lucky girl is," Maddy said, "I can't think of any reason why she'd say no."

Paul smiled. "I'd hope so."

That day, Maddy and Lila went to Paul's baseball game. He was the all-star of the team; he had been since junior year. Maddy loved watching Paul play. His passion for the game was something she really admired.

Paul's team ended up winning 6-1. Paul had racked up a few hits as they cruised to the win. After the game, Maddy expected to Paul to meet her near the dugout. Instead, when she saw him next, he was waving her onto the field.

Confused, she walked out to meet him. When they got to the pitcher's mound, he instructed her to close her eyes. She did what he told her, waiting anxiously.

"Open your eyes," he instructed. When she did, she was met with Paul in front of her, holding up a sign.

I might be swinging late, and I may strike out asking, but will you go to prom with me?

Maddy grinned, holding her arms out for a hug. "Of course I will."

Smiling, Paul hugged her as his teammates clapped.

-

"I've never been this nervous, Lila," Maddy said, looking at herself in the mirror. She was dressed up in a beautiful dress. Lila had applied small amounts of makeup to her face and her hair was braided; a look fit for prom.

"You look gorgeous, Maddy," Lila assured her. "You are going to take Paul's breath away."

"I hope so," Maddy sighed.

As if on queue, there was a knock on the door. "That's him!" Lila exclaimed, running towards the door. Maddy looked at herself in the mirror once more before following her best friend.

Her heart raced as she turned the corner. Paul spotted her immediately, freezing. He looked her up and down and he looked away, feeling self-conscious.

"You look beautiful," he said.

"You don't look too bad yourself, Paul," she said, smiling at him.

Lila clapped her hand on Paul's shoulder, snapping him out of his trance. "You two to go. You wouldn't want to be late!" she said.

"Yeah, that's a good idea," Paul agreed, holding a hand out to Maddy. She took it and he laced his fingers with hers. Lila winked at Maddy before the two left the house.

Prom was perfect. Paul was a gentleman and Maddy was falling for him even more. It made her sad, though, because she was sure that he was only doing this as a friendly gesture. She wished he wasn't, but she didn't have much of a say in that.

Both Maddy and Paul were exhausted by the end of the night. Though she had had fun with Paul, Maddy was excited to be able to go home and sleep. However, when they got to Paul's car, he made a surprising suggestion.

"Do you want to stay at my house tonight?" he questioned. "I mean, it's perfectly fine if you don't want to, I understand, but--"

"That sounds fine, Paul," she said, cutting off his rambling.

"O-okay."

How cute, she thought.

When they got to Paul's house, the first thing Maddy did was take off her heels. Though they weren't too tall, they killed her feet. Paul offered him some of his clothes that didn't fit him anymore. Though they were all big, Maddy was able to find a pair of sweatpants that actually stayed on, as well as a t-shirt. She took the braid out of her hair and wiped the makeup off of her face before joining Paul in his room.

"Where do you want to sleep?" he questioned awkwardly.

"I'd be open to sleeping in the same bed if you're okay with that," Maddy suggested, blushing.

"Yeah, that's fine," he said, looking away. He seemed nervous as she laid down in his bed. He sat down before speaking again. "Hey, can I tell you something?"

Maddy sat up. "Of course, Paul."

He sighed before looking over at you. "I really like you, Maddy. I've liked you since that first day in Chem."

Maddy stared at him, comprehending his words. He actually liked her back. "I like you, too, Paul."

Without skipping a beat, he leaned in and kissed her. His arms moved to her back before he pulled away.

"Be my girlfriend?" he questioned, his breath warm against her lips.

She smiled. "Of course."

Smiling, he kissed her again.

----------------------------------

im obsessed with psych

10.08.17