twenty seven | randal grichuk

moments

"Hurry up, we're gonna be late!" you yelled, running towards the gates at Bush Stadium, dragging (Friend's Name) along with you

"The gates just opened. Besides, it's just BP!" she argued, trying to slow you down.

"I don't care!" you answered as you approached the gates, stopping and catching your breath. There were a few people that were entering the stadium and you quickly joined the line with (Friend's Name) following you closely.

"You just want to see Randal, don't you?" she said, putting her hands on her hips.

"Maybe," you said, but you knew she knew the answer was yes.

Randal Grichuk was an outfielder for the St. Louis Cardinals, and, most importantly, your favorite player. You weren't sure what it was about him, but your love had turned into what your friend had called an 'unhealthy obsession'(which you had to agree with).

You had been to many Cardinals games before, but this was the first time you were going to BP. Of course, you would have been this excited anyway, but the thought of maybe getting a ball from Randal made your heart race.

You walked into the stadium, taking in the ballpark sights that you had seen so many times before. The Cardinals were taking BP and you saw many fans in the stands looking for baseballs. However, you and (Friend's Name) decided to stay near the dugouts, hoping for the chance to meet one of the players.

(Friend's Name) led you to your front row seats, as you were distracted by trying to find Randal in the sea of red uniforms. You had sat down by the time you had found him. He was leaning on the back on the temporary backstop that had been put up for BP, smiling at something someone had said as he watched Yadier Molina hit. You smiled at the sight of him.

After your temporary starstruck state wore off you looked down at your phone as you texted a friend. However, it didn't take long for you to be interrupted.

"Excuse me," a familiar voice spoke. You looked over at the field, where Randal was standing in front of you. Your heart began to race when you found he was looking at you.

He held out a baseball which you took gently, holding it in your hands. He looked over at you with a grin.

"Call me."

As you looked down, you realized that his number was written on the ball.

-

"Are you sleeping over again?" Randal asked as he sat down on the couch next to you, wrapping his arm around your shoulders.

"I guess so," you responded as he pressed a kiss to your cheek.

"Good."

You smiled, turning so he could give you a kiss on the lips.

"You know, I was thinking..." He trailed off, looking away.

"What's up?" you questioned. He looked nervous.

"I want you to move in with me," he blurted out.

"Wait, really?" you asked in shock.

"Yes," he said. "If you don't want to that's fine, but..."

"No, I want to," you said with a smile. "I'd like nothing more."

He looked over at you, smiling. "I'm happy to hear that."

-

"You look nervous, babe," Randal said, looking over at you for a moment from where he was sitting in the driver's seat before looking back at the paved road.

"I am nervous," you said, not taking your eyes off the road.

"Don't worry, my parents are going to love you," he assured you.

"You don't know that," you argued.

"They ask about you all the time. They're really excited to meet you, trust me," he told you.

"I wanna make a good first impression," you admitted.

"You will. Just be yourself." You sighed. "Hold on, are you worried we'll break up if they don't like you?" You froze as he had hit the nail on the head. He looked over at you, confirming his suspicions, before chuckling. "You don't have to worry about that. No one's going to keep me from you, (Your Name)."

-

Randal stood in front of the crowd of both your's and Randal's family. He was dressed in a nice suit, and the day was very special. It was the day of your wedding.

"I can still remember where I was standing when I first saw (Your Name)," he began. "I was leaning against the backstop that had been set up for BP at Bush Stadium, just watching my teammates hit. I happened to look over next to the dugout and that was where I saw her. My first thought was, she's the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. I knew I had to talk to her—I would have beat myself up for weeks if I didn't. So, I stole a BP ball, went and got a sharpie, and wrote my number on the ball. She always tells me how confident I looked when I gave it to her, but really I was scared out of my mind.

"I can say that I've had a lot of good moments in my life, but I think I can safely say that walking up to her that day was the best decision I've ever made. These three years with her have been amazing and I am so happy that I can call her my wife. I want to start a family with her, and it seems I will be able to do that soon." He paused, his words causing various murmurs from the crowd. You smiled, knowing what news he was going to announce.

"(Your Name) and I are going to have a baby."

05

05.07.17