seventeen | andrew benintendi

celebration

"Good luck today," you said, giving your boyfriend, Andrew, a smile

"Thank you," he said, smiling back. This was the last game of the 2017 season and the Red Sox had already clinched a spot in the playoffs for the second year in a row. You kissed him on the cheek quickly, nervous that people were watching you, before walking off the field. You thanked the officer as he closed the door in the fence behind you. You sighed, making your way to your seat.

You scrolled through Instagram as they announced things that you didn't particularly care about as you waited for the game to start. Usually, you only put your phone down during the National Anthem. However, you were very surprised when they announced your name.

It felt like your heart was beating out of your chest as you walked down to the field. You thanked the officer again as Brock Holt motioned for you to join him on the pitcher's mound. You walked quickly, confused as to what was going on.

"What's going on, Brock?" you asked.

"You'll see," he answered, giving you a smile. He lifted the microphone to his mouth.

"Andrew, get out here," he said. You turned to the dugout, where Andrew was walking up the steps. You gave him a look as he walked towards you. He adjusted his hat before looking up at you. As he joined you on the mound, Brock handed the mic to him, giving him a smile. Andrew gave him a nervous smile before Brock made his way back to the dugout.

"Andrew, what's going on?" you asked.

"I'm sorry about this, but I have to," he said, turning the mic off and dropping it beside him. You could tell he was shaking. "(Your Name), I still remember the first time I met you. I remember where you were sitting in the lunchroom when I saw you. I remember the way my friends pushed me towards you as you watched and laughed. And, though I thought you would hate it, you went along with it. You were willing to talk with such a shy guy like me.

"Nine years later, I still feel the same way I did when I met you. Even after all the amazing things we've been through together, I think I can still say you're the best thing that's ever happened to me. And, I guess I only have one thing left to ask you," he paused, reaching into his back pocket as he kneeled down. You stepped back, putting your hands over your mouth as you tried to process what was happening. Tears blurred your vision as he opened the box, revealing the ring.

"Will you marry me?" he asked, smiling up at you.

"Yes!" you exclaimed, nodding furiously. You could hear the crowd cheering as he stood up, putting his arms out as you hugged him tightly. You let your tears fall as you pulled him as close as you could. "I love you so much, Andrew,"

"I love you, too," he said as you pulled away.

"I can't believe you did that in front of all these people," you exclaimed, wiping your tears away with your hand.