~

Tawfiq got there right on time.
He had seen Belinda, Zain's mom and even Zain himself but they hadn't seen him yet.
Maybe he would look for them after the program. That was if Naima wasn't with them.
He was staring at his iPhone in the auditorium so he didn't notice they had started.

He wasn't paying attention to whatever they were saying. He did not come here to listen to the history of the school or whatever else they spoke of. It was really boring to be honest. If it wasn't because Naima was graduating, he'd never have come.

He took his eyes off his phone when they started to mention the graduates to receive their certificates and what not. He was sitting at the far top, right by the exit. Ready to exit once they were done. He had his hands crossed and was just listening as the names were being mentioned.

When Hasia's name was mentioned, Tawfiq saw her family giving her a standing ovation and Zain and the rest did the same. He also clapped for her but decided not stand up. He was tired.

It became boring again as the names continued. How many people were graduating? A billion? He thought.

That's when Naima's name was mentioned. He looked up quickly. She was smiling. Her gaze was on her family as she gave them a wave. She received her certificate and An Inspirational Student Award in her field. She removed her gaze from her family and was scanning the crowd as she took her picture with the Dean of the school.

〰️

Her father hadn't come. Thank Allah. It's not that she hated the man. Okay maybe a little.
But he was still her father and she wasn't exactly fond of him. Never had been. Possible never would be.
Hasia had told her one time that she had become more confident and optimistic in the last three years. She now contributed a lot in school and had a voice of her own. She wasn't the quiet little girl from 3 years ago. She didn't call for attention but she didn't hide either.

Where was Tawfiq?
He wasn't sitting with Zain and the others. Her smile fell slightly. She was taking her awards and was scanning the crowd for him.
Maybe he came in late.

She was looking at the doors of the auditorium to see if she'd catch him sneaking in late when she spotted him. He had seemed surprised at first that she was able to find him but she did. She would have checked seat by seat if she had to.

She looked straight at him and he did the same. She was the first to tear her gaze away from him and went back to her seat. When she sat down, she turned again to look at him. He just smirked with his arms folded over his chest. She looked away from him as she felt her cheeks heating up.

When they were giving the closing speech, she turned to see if he was still there. She saw him getting up from his seat. Was he leaving already?

When he realized she was looking at him, he winked at her and took his jacket lying on the hand of the seat and left.

Oh no, he did not.
He wasn't going to ignore her. They needed to stop this. They had to speak.

She quickly ran out of the auditorium and noticed Zain giving her a questioning look on where she was going. She just made a sign saying she'd come back.

When she left the auditorium, she started walking fast to catch up with him. He couldn't just ignore her forever.
She walked fast in order to make it in time before he drove off.

She saw the back of his head about to enter a car and she run as fast as she could towards it. She stood right in front of the car before he could even start it.

〰️

Tawfiq didn't think Naima would follow her. Now he would have to talk to her. Not like he didn't want to, but he didn't know if he could hold himself back from hugging her. Or just touching her.
He placed his head on the steering wheel for a few seconds before he looked up.
Naima motioned with her finger for him to come out of the car.
He slowly made his way out.