40| Birthday

Skylar|

It was April ninth, also known as my fucking birthday. Things have gotten better since I've been to rehab sessions provided by the Angeles family. When my parents found out what happened with Savannah, I got into a shit ton of trouble. They didn't understand how their oldest daughter could be so irresponsible. Since that day, Savannah has yet to forgive me. Even though she couldn't tell me, the way she acted around my presence was enough. She didn't want to play with me anymore, the three year old never came into my room, nor did she want to eat anything that I made her. It was almost as if I scared her so badly, she got traumatized.

On the other hand, little Angeles has been here for my sobriety every step of the way. Basically, I couldn't do anything after school because rehab started half an hour after my last period. I still liked to smoke bogies in between but I stopped doing xan and coke. The doctors at the facility would frequently drug test their patients to make sure we were staying true to ourselves. It was stupid as fuck because not only would they test me but so would my parents once in a while.

Kiersten and I were laying in my bed, she was sleeping on her side, extremely tired from doing her homework. She'd come with me after school to rehab, waiting outside for my session to end, before coming to my house and making sure I was clean until she felt comfortable to leave. I've tried to apologize for blaming the source of my problems on her yet I couldn't own up to my mistake. In my eyes, she had been the person to make me finally take initiative towards the negative things I'd do on a daily. Her and Heidi constantly fought over how much time she was spending with me and I knew that the only reason she stayed by my side was because she felt guilty after I said what I had said.

Since my bed had not been big like hers, we were a lot more snuggled together. I wrapped an arm to keep the slightly younger girl warm. She was wearing volleyball clothing though they had already finished their season months ago. I on the other hand had my softball jersey on because we had a game today. The other school played like shit and were slow as hell so I didn't have much dirt on outfit at all; I outran those bitches. For my birthday, Kiersten got me a few dope laptop stickers and a new softball glove since the one I had was very worn out. I really liked how thoughtful her gifts were because I was usually used to getting cash that I'd spend on drugs... too bad I can't cop shit anymore.

"Kiddo, can I ask you something?" I whispered into her ear to wake her up.

The dark haired brunette let out a few annoyed groans before those pretty eyes of hers opened. "Pardon me?"

Saying with as much confidence as I could, "For my birthday, I want you to go out with me."

"Like a date?" Her face awakened a lot faster than I thought it would.

"Yes... If that's alright?" I started to get really nervous. "I mean, I know you and Heidi aren't together at the moment right?"

"Right" she replied, reciprocating the anxiousness I was feeling. "What happened to you not ever wanting to date?"

Shrugging my shoulders, "One date won't hurt. We don't have to change either, I don't like fancy shit."

"Skylar, I just..." I could tell she was beginning to feel uncomfortable.

"Say no more, it's my birthday therefore you have to" I demanded in the sweetest tone. I knew it was wrong for me to guilt trip her, but I already knew what she was going to say. Angeles was probably going to go off on how she's not ready to just drop Heidi and blah blah blah, I didn't feel like hearing any of that bullshit on my birthday. Today was about me and therefore I'm going to make my seventeenth a lit one.