25| October 23

Kiersten|

I sat within the very uncomfortably hard, blue bleachers. Volleyball practice had just finished around 20 minutes ago and now it was time for the girl's basketball team to practice. Because I was upset with Skylar, I decided not to go home with her tonight and instead insisted to ask no other than the beautiful basketball captain for a ride. Her red haired ponytail flew so elegantly as she ran across the court, posting up and waiting to receive the ball. She was such a timid player, seeming unconfident about her talent compared to the other girls. Heidi Starr was the type of player who was quiet and almost shy on court, yet could easily bang 15 footers as if it was instinctive. There hadn't been anyone but me sitting on the gum infested bleachers, however the basketball coach didn't seem to mind at all. Instead, he looked at me with commiseration within his middle aged eyes. You'd think after a few months, people would stop with the pity looks... think again.

"Man vs Man defense!" the coach yelled as his orbs tore away from mine. "I want no fouls white!"

They were having a scrimmage so half the girls had their jerseys flipped on the white side while the others had theirs flipped on the blue side. Hence, our school's colors. My tall 'more-than-friend, friend' was on the white team, playing a forward position. I was able to differentiate that the white team would be the starting 5 in a game scenario while the blue team were younger rookies, the less experienced on the varsity team.

"Why'd you give her that baseline shot, Ashley!" one of the girls yelled at another.

"Get back!" Heidi yelled after her team failed to get a rebound and had to run back on defense. "I got 1, watch the two wings up there!"

She was serious looking even though her team was scoring nearly 15 points more than the blue team. I don't even think she noticed me waiting here for her practice to be done so that I could ask for a ride. What I did know though, was that my head had been pounding from the squeaky sounds of basketball shoes against the wooden gym floors. Because of my accident, I still got many migraines from my past brain trauma concussion. The basketball captain glanced quickly over at me as my eyes started to feel heavy. I slowly closed them and leaned my head back against the gym wall. There was still enough space between my lids to allow me to see what was going on. Heidi made a three pointer and then glanced at me again with hesitation in her eyes. It was like she wanted to run over and check on me but knew she had obligations to her sport. I smiled lightly at her, letting her know I was okay. She smiled worriedly back, her shooting form still in the air. Flicked wrist, and perfect stance.

Suddenly, something about that picture perfect scene enforced a flashback...

"And the crowd goes wild as Starr hits a buzzer beater from the half court line!" the sports announcer yelled. "She's been nothing but gold today for the cougars!"

As the ball went in without touching the rim, Heidi smirked in my direction, sending a wink as the whole school began to praise her. Sometimes when she moved, it almost looked like slow motion. My heart instantly started to race in excitement and pride, blood rushing all over my body as I felt heat in my cheeks. I stood up to applaud her, feeling so damn proud of the extravagant girl who clearly owned the court.

"Oh my god Kier!" Screamed Kennedy. "My school literally just won states... like literally!" She yelled as she hugged me tightly. "And you were here to witness it!"

Kennedy wasn't the only person eager to hug me. Seconds later, a tall and sweaty basketball player stood parallel of me. Out of breath from playing along with running through the crowd to get to me, "Hey love, glad you could make it" she said shyly.