14| That Was It

Skylar|

October. It was fucking mid October, a month later, and this girl has yet to associate with me. I watched as Kiersten and her new friends sat at a table next to the cheerleaders. Her closest friend, a red headed tall girl, ended up being some bitch off the basketball team. She was cute but definitely not hot; I heard from a couple of jocks that Heidi was openly gay and had been in love with the shorter brunette through a long distance relationship back in the good old days. However, I couldn't commit to those allegations since no one knew for sure.

A lot had changed when it came to the 5'6 brunette. For one, I had noticed in our classes that she didn't stutter as badly as she used to which allowed her to communicate better. This led to befriending more kids, even some of the girls who played volleyball. Kiersten was actually accepted onto our school's volleyball team as a walk on. She was a redshirt since she hadn't been able to scream loud enough to call for the ball and still had respiratory problems. Furthermore, she would help out greatly when it came to the practices. How did I know all of this? I may or may not have kept up with a few sources to see what she was up to.

"You're staring at her again" Shantel said while taking a sip out of her flask. We were at our usually spot under a big ass palm tree.

Lying, "No, I'm not."

"Yes you fucking are, don't give me that" she laughed. "Just cuz you have shades on doesn't mean I can't tell."

Rolling my eyes, "I was just checking on her."

Shantel hid her flask back into her bag, scooting her bottom next to mine and nudging me in the shoulder. "You check on her everyday, she's fine" the model said as she sent me a smile of assurance. "I think you like her."

"I don't," I said convincingly. "There was just a special bond I felt when I was with her... It's not a big deal."

"Well have you felt those feelings with anyone else?" She questioned.

"No, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't do shit like date or keep myself solely to one person."

"So what are you going to do? Fuck around your whole life?" Her voice was austere.

"If that's what it takes" I shrugged. I was not about to change for someone when I could have multiple people, there was no fun in that. Plus, this was high school. What would I expect? To stay together forever and ever happily?

"You're always so stubborn, it's annoying." Shantel scooted away from me, she took out a cigarette and began smoking on school property. The rules here were not as strict as other schools, we just weren't allowed to smoke indoors.

"Says the one who hasn't been tied down either" I threw back.

She sighed, "You don't know that."

"Are you hiding something from me?" I asked with concern. "I thought we told each other everything?"

"We do!" She swore. "There was just one thing I had hid from you because I didn't want it to change our relationship."

"You know I love you a lot right?" Maybe not in the romantic sense, but I had so much love for her. Before Savannah was born, Shantel was the sister I never had. It was pure fate, especially since her name also started with an "S."

Looking at me with admiration in her eyes, "Yes I do. But, have you ever been in love with someone?"

"No, you know that?" I shot towards her more defensive than I meant to. I think the longest I've ever dated someone was for probably 2 weeks and it was a guy. Honesty was the worst decision of my life, I felt so trapped and it wasn't fair to him.