"Just give me an explanation. I'm not trying to be nosey but you can't expect me to do what you are asking. I can't. . .won't just leave without understanding what's going on."
Naima crossed her arms over her chest and stood her ground.

Tawfiq knew he couldn't change Naima's mind. He had always wanted Naima to become a firm. To stand her ground and not always be running and hiding.
Looks like his prayers were answered. Just not at the right time.

He exhaled and went to sit on the bed. Gesturing for Naima to follow him.

Dean was now sitting on the floor with his back to the wall. Tawfiq knew better than to go and talk to him right now. He would just throw a tantrum.
Dean was someone who dealt with pain weirdly. Tawfiq wouldn't be shocked if he was making jokes the next day just to forget about what happened.

"Fine. I know you aren't one to tell others about everything so please don't tell anyone this too. It's not something people should be aware of. Please don't try to find out about anything I say on your own. Ask me, don't ask anyone else, only me. It's for your safety, Naima. Are we okay on that?" Tawfiq wanted to make it clear.

Trying to find out more about what he knew about Dean's external family could probably kill you. That's why he wanted her to understand the severity of not digging for more information.
He didn't even know why he had given in to Naima's demands. He was sure he would paint his body blue if she asked. Ya Allah. . .How far he had gone.

Naima just nodded and said,
"Clear."

Here goes nothing.

Tawfiq took a deep breath. It was a long story.

"Let me start right from the beginning. Harriet is the only daughter of the biggest mafia family in literally the whole world. Her dad, Alfonsi Ferrari, runs and controls every other mafia family in Italy where they are currently based.
As cliche as it may sound, she didn't exactly like being there. She always wanted out. She didn't see herself being involved in the family business. When she was old enough, she had plan to fake her death and disappear. That's when she met John, who was on a trip to Italy and they fell in love." Tawfiq peered at Dean.
He was still sitting there motionlessly.

Tawfiq continued.
"Her dad didn't approve of John. He was American and wasn't a part of any mafia group. But Alfonso loved his daughter and couldn't tell her no. The other mafia elders didn't approve when Harriet wooed her father into letting her marry John.
So Alfonso made her run away with John back here, to America.
But John refused to accept any money from his father-in-law for them to live comfortably. So they relied on the money John made as an Accountant. They were happy for a while until Harriet got pregnant with Dean. That's when the problems began. The mafia wanted Dean." He exhaled.

"They wanted him. He would take over after Alfonsi died. Harriet's father with all his power couldn't risk siding with his daughter anymore. And they were right. He needed an heir. Because if he died without one, it would be a war for power.
But Harriet couldn't just give Dean to them. She couldn't just give her one child to the life she had fought so hard to be free off. She pleaded with Alfonso who gave in subsequently."

Clearly he loved his daughter.
Naima could tell.

"Alfonso was able to convince the other mafia families and elders that they could have Harriet's next born as a heir. Some didn't like the idea but still went with it. Whether they liked it or not, Alfonso was boss. Harriet was ecstatic that she could keep her son. She and John decided to avoid giving birth again. Harriet even went on IUD. But somehow they made a mistake. To err is human they say. And I don't think I should refer to it as a mistake. But that's how Harriet had said to me. Dean was 10 years old by that time when Harriet became pregnant."