27| The Photograph

Start from the beginning

Frowning and exposing lines on my face, "How come?"

"You expected a lot from me and I'd let you down at times, I'd push you away, say some things that I knew would have you crying all night... we fought a whole lot but it was always out of love... I swear I'm not like that anymore, I've been working on myself."

"Are w- we still talking about as friends?" I questioned. Whenever she'd talk about us, it was so hard to distinguish what she meant by friends or more than friends.

"Uh, something like that. I'm not getting into that alright?" She said sternly.

"Yes ma'am" I sighed. Some of me was starting to suspect that I've liked girls before my accident and Skylar. More specifically, I probably liked Heidi. "Where are we in this picture?"

Heidi's head positioned itself so that it had been parallel to the photograph. "That's your last question" her voice broke almost inaudibly. My apparent last question seemed to bring out her sensitive side, her eyes closing as she frowned. She chugged the rest of her drink before sitting in about a minute of silence, two fingers were pressing against her temple. "This is the last picture of us before your accident" she mumbled. "It was your last day visiting home before going back to New York for school and volleyball. Before your flight, you had a scavenger hunt for me and..."

She must of triggered something because for the second time today, I got another flashback.

"You're being really fucking dramatic, sweetheart" Heidi rolled her eyes. "Driving with my knees are not going to get us killed. I do it all the time with my teammates."

"I feel like you're asking to get yelled at" I replied while looking outside of the passenger window. Sometimes I couldn't tell if I was making the right choice because my huge house was here compared to the small apartment back in NYC, my family was here... what hurt the most was that Heidi and I would be apart again. "Make a right here" I directed the driver.

"Where are you taking me?"  She laughed. "This place looks sketchy."

Looking at her with a smirk, I replied. "She doesn't like to swear, she likes when I call her 'dear', she has ___ hair".

"Red?" The basketball player questioned.

"Yes, are you starting to understand where I'm going here?"

"Well, I'm not stupid" she chortled. "We're definitely going to that little red diner I've been curious about since I've dropped you off the last time, eh?"

Winking, "First off, you are stupid. Second, yes. It only took you about 3 hours to find out!"

"Hey! You posted like a billion postits all over my room with numbers and I had to put them in order!" She got playfully defensive. "You know I hate time consuming things."

"You loved it."

Heidi pulled into the parking lot of the diner, quickly grabbing the closest one to the entrance. "No, but I do love you."

"We have something in common because I love me too!" I joked.

"I'm serious" she said softly. I could always catch when my departure would ruin her moment. "I hate when you leave but I know we have obligations as athletes."

Reaching over to squeeze her thigh as Heidi pulled the key out of the ignition, "Babe, stop worrying. You know I'll always come back to you, don't ya?" I leaned my body over to kiss her cheek. "Anddd... I love you too, Superstar."