[FORTY]

•ANGEL•

I clutched the pillow tighter against me until I realized that's not what I was reaching for. I felt her side of the bed only touch to soft fabric instead of skin. I groaned loudly into the pillow. Opening an eye was a bad idea since the sun threatened to make me go blind. I hissed softly and rotated so I was not facing it. Our clothes that were on the floor were not anymore and instead were in a chair.

Getting up, I dragged myself to the bathroom to piss.  I brushed my teeth, put on some basket ball shorts, grabbed my phone and went into the kitchen.

That's where I found Aviana sitting at the table, drinking coffee in her silk, lacey back, pastel pink robe.  Her braids were messy with a few curly strands on her face and neck  but still in a braid.  Silently, I scrolled up behind her and draped my arms around her neck, tenderly kissing her forehead.

"Morning," I whispered huskily.

She inhaled, and exhaled. "Morning."

I sat across from her, laying my phone down.  Her face was neutral and disinterested.  She wasn't smiling, looking more distanced than I'd ever seen her.  Even worse? She woke up before me.  Aviana loved to sleep so that didn't add up to me.

"Why are you up so early?" I asked putting on a smirk, maybe to lift the mood.  She shrugged.

"I wasn't that tired."

My smirk turned serpentine. "Even after I impelled myself into you?"

I saw a little twitch at her lips before it disappeared completely and she sighed again.  She grabbed her mug of coffee and put up to her lips.  I put my guard up.

"Tell me," I ordered. 

She looked up at me, raising a brow.  I shrugged.  "Tell me."

"Tell you what?"

I rolled my eyes. "Something's bothering you."

She was inaudible.  She put the coffee down and started untangling her braid so her curls would fall to her shoulder.  I egged on.

"Avi—"

"You're leaving me," she blurted. "You're going back home today!"

My jaw flexed as I felt my face heat up.  I sighed knowing I couldn't lie to her.

"How did you find out?"

"You're phone was chiming reminders at 5:00 AM to not miss the plane back to Nevada at 7:30 later today.  I looked at it and saw that."

I shook my head unsure of what to say.  I know I should've told her, but she looked so happy.  And Gabe, and Lil left without letting her know.

"I couldn't tell you.  I didn't want to rui—"

"You didn't want to ruin such a great time I was having? Yet you'd allow me to sulk over the fact that I won't get to feel your arms around me in the morning, hear your stupid ass jokes? Or eat dinner with you, walk around the park with you... BE with you physically?"

I felt myself shrinking in the chair, and shrinking from her Mom voice.  I gulped down a lump in my throat knowing she was right.

"You need to tell me more things like this.  I'm not mad that you're leaving, I know you have to.  But it'd be nice to know when I'm saying goodbye."

I piped up. "But you're not saying goodbye.  I'm only going to be gone until school's over.  And that's not until June.  I got piles of paper that need to get done because I missed so much."