[NINE]

•AVIANA•

I ran as fast as I could with Aislin unconsciously perched against me.

Her nose bled onto my shoulder, but I ignored it. I was making it around the second corner, on my way to Lilith's house. It was dark, and eerie but I didn't let that stop me. Very few cars were still on the road, and none of them stopped to see what was going on with me. I still couldn't believe I was out of that house.

My legs started wobbling with pain. I'd probably walked a mile with a body on me, that wasn't really making it easier. Her head bobbed with every bounce I made. I wished she woke up in the mist of this just so she could help, but only one prayer could've been answered that night.

I made it around my fourth corner with a sob and a chuckle. Then I realized Angel gave me vague directions. Which one of the stupid houses were hers? Panic rose in my chest, but I willed myself to not get hazy.

"Um, think Aviana. Think," I softly smacked my forehead to miraculously come up with a great idea. But I didn't know anything these days.

I was stuck in that damn basement for five years; the world had kind of slipped between my fingers. I was behind so many things like technology, the way they ran the economy, and so much more. I was like the lost ugly duckling, or the black sheep among everyone!

Without a better idea, I roamed Aislin's body, searching for a phone. Nothing was on her except dried blood. I needed to get her help but first find Lilith. I glanced at all the houses in the neighborhood, deciding which I should knock on first.

If I was at the wrong house with Aislin unconscious on me they'll probably think I caused whatever was happening to her. Her blood was on me. So I hid Aislin behind a bush, just for a minute. I was going to come back for her, but I needed this to work.

I knocked on the first house that had the porch light on. I knocked five times, before the door squeaked open, with a little boy gazing up at me. I smiled as best as I could, but my smile probably looked questionable.

"What do you want?" the boy asked quite rudely with a frown on his face.

"Um, do you know where Lilith lives? I've been told she lives around here."

The boy turned up his nose in disgust, "I don't know who that is. Now leave, crazy lady. You have blood on you."

He was about to shut the door in my face, but I grabbed it from closing. Not today. No, I was not returning to that hellhole.

"Listen little boy, and listen carefully. Go get your mommy, and let me talk to an adult, not a four year old," I growled.

The boy gaped at me with wide eyes, but recovered and said matter of factly, "I'm five, get it right," then turned around and screamed for his mother.

Ugh.

The spoiled, rotten little imp.

"Didn't I tell you not to open doors for strangers Melvin? We're talking about this when I'm done, young man," a tall, slender woman came into view from afar, gently shoving her five year old imp behind her.

She looked at me with a soft smile and said, "how may I help you?"

"I need help finding out where Lilith lives? My friend told me she lives here but he didn't tell me which one of the houses."

"Oh, Lilith. The twenty year old that lives among us. Yeah, she lives right over at that house across the street," the woman pointed. A huge grin took over my face, and I almost wanted to hug her despite the devious child she bore.