Chapter 48- The Bad News

"Bad news?" I asked.

"Okay. Good news first or bad news?" she sat beside me on the bed and gave me a look of sincerity.

"Uh... Good news first." I said with a serious look.

"Well, the good news is... your brother just called me because he couldn't reach you. He said he's coming home." she sighed.

Okay... that's good.

"Really? That's awesome." I smiled cheerfully. "What's the bad news?"

"The bad news is... Peter, you know... his eldest son?" she asked, her eyes full of sadness. Yeah, Peter. Kent's eight-year old son. He's my favorite nephew. Last time he came to visit, I really had a great time. He just puts a smile on my face and... it's like his innocence makes me want to become a child again. I kinda look at him as my own son too.

Wait, what's the bad news about him???

"Yeah?" I said, trying to get out more information out of her.

"He... died." Alice sighed.

What?

"Wait, what?" I asked in confusion, hoping what I heard wasn't true... Hoping I misheard it. My heart tightened.

"He died, Mandy. He was hit by a car. And when they brought him to the hospital, he was dead on the spot." Alice explained, but I felt like I couldn't hear her.

Peter's... dead.

My heart sank and I felt a mixed emotion of sadness and shock. Peter was like my own son. And Kent loved him so much.

"Oh my god...." I sobbed and burst into tears.

I can't believe he's dead. If I'm so sad... then imagine how my brother must feel. Having your son dead. That must be the saddest thing ever.

I can't believe it...

Peter... that sweet ball of sun. He lit up every space inside a room with his wonderful smile....

Thinking about him made me cry even harder.

"It's alright, Mandy..." Alice hugged me and rubbed my back. I couldn't even hug her back. Tears filled my eyes.

"It's gonna be fine." she spoke softly and hugged me tight. It's good to have someone to keep you in comfort when you feel down.

I sobbed and I couldn't stop.