Chapter 35

It was getting close to midnight and some family members began to leave because their kids needed to get home to bed.

Shawn was at the dining room table talking with his father, while Aaliyah and Charlie were slouched on the couch beside one another looking at her song lyrics on her phone.

Manny happened to glance over and saw how comfortable Aaliyah and Charlie appeared. "That didn't take long, did it?"

Shawn turned and saw Aaliyah giggling with her head resting on Charlie's shoulder. He smiled warmly at them. "They are two peas in a pod."

"Está tudo bem?"

Shawn turned back and nodded. "Everything is fine."

He didn't seem convinced. "I know you too well, my son."

"It really is good."

He nodded. "Okay."

"Why do you ask?"

Manny smiled and rubbed his son's shoulder. "You are holding back. I know you."

Shawn nodded. "I won't push him."

"Are you two seeing other people?"

"No." he said almost too quickly. "Well, I mean I am not."

"How would you feel if he was?"

Shawn knew exactly how he would feel. "Heartbroken, Papai."

Just then Aaliyah came running over. "It's time to watch 'A Christmas Carol', Papai! Come on Shawnie!"

"We'll be right in, sweetheart." Manny said then cupped Shawn's face with his hand. "You have to do what is right for you." He said then lovingly tapped his cheek then left the table.

"Mama! Come on." Aaliyah said then headed back into the other room.

Shawn took a deep breath then headed back into the den. Charlie smiled at him and patted empty space beside him on the couch.

Shawn sat beside him and slouched down so their faces were on at the same level. "Someone has a new best friend."

Charlie smiled. "Your sister is adorable."

"Agreed."

Charlie gently caressed Shawn's hand that was resting on his thigh. "Missed you."

"Me too." He replied.

"Come on, Mama!"

"Okay, okay. I am here." Karen said then sat beside Aaliyah on the adjacent couch.

Manny was waiting in the recliner for everyone to be settled. "Are we ready?"

"Yes!" Aaliyah shouted.

Manny chuckled then pressed play.

"What is this about?" Charlie whispered to him.

Shawn leaned in towards his ear. "Every year we watch this movie at midnight. It has become a Mendes tradition. My father would watch it with his family as a child."

"That is adorable."

"Shhh." Aaliyah said as the movie started.

During the movie, Shawn opened his palm to Charlie and gently nudged his hand.

Charlie slipped his hand into his and intertwined their fingers. His hands felt strong yet soft. He was feeling very warm and comfortable. Since it would probably be too much PDA if they cuddled in front of the fam, Charlie did the next best thing and rested his head-on Shawn shoulder.