Chapter 5

Shawn woke up early to head to his usual Sunday spot. He liked to get some tea and write in the café around the corner. It was late into the fall so there was a chill in the air. Shawn buttoned his dark grey cardigan and slipped on his loose beanie cap.

Once he arrived, he ordered some tea and sat in his usual corner spot by the window

He had his journal out, but his focus was not there. He kept thinking about his phone conversation with Charlie. Just thinking about it sent a jolt of sensation between his legs. He shifted a bit and tried to focus on his writing.

His buzzing phone broke up his thoughts.

Charlie> I want to see you.

Shawn's eyes widened at the direct text. It made him feel alive, but also wary of a person that was this upfront.

Shawn> Right now?

Charlie> Where are you?

Shawn was conflicted at the moment. Part of him saw the thrill of this and the other was cautious. He remembered TJ's comment about Charlie being trouble.

Shawn> My spot- enjoying some tea.

Charlie> Where? I want to join you.

Shawn> Bird's Nest

Shawn waited for a response, but there was none. He quickly used the mirror app on his phone to make sure he looked presentable.

Since he had not written anything down this morning, he decided to jot down some characteristics about Charlie. Perhaps it would help figure him out.

Two immediate characteristics came to mind; charming and spontaneous. Once he wrote those down, a few more began to flow, such as, talented, sexy, bold...

Suddenly, Charlie was there kneeling beside his chair. "Hey, there."

Shawn felt butterflies in his stomach.

Charlie leaned in and placed a long kiss on his cheek.

Bold, yes definitely bold, Shawn thought to himself. It is so hot though, he also told himself.

Charlie sat across from him. "So, is this your spot?"

Shawn's face lit up as he smiled. He nodded then said, "Yeah, this place gets my creative juices flowing. I wrote quite a few songs here."

Just then a waitress came over to them. "Can I get you something?"

Charlie smirked. "That depends."

She blushed. "I mean off of the menu."

"Oh, well that is no fun." He said flirtatiously.

Shawn felt a ping of jealousy that number one, someone else had his attention and number two, he would flirt with someone right in front of him. Shawn thought to himself, I should add two more words, flirty and jackass.

"Thanks, sweetie." Charlie said then winked at her.

Shawn tried to hide his displeasure with the interaction that had just occurred, but if someone was going to write characteristics about him, one in bold would be 'apparent'.

"So, when do I get to hear your stuff?"

Shawn slid his beanie cap off then ran his hand through his hair and ruffled it a few times to get out any elements of potential 'hat hair'.

Charlie watched him intently. He could watch him do that all day, he thought to himself. Some people are just beautiful creatures, he thought to himself. Shawn was one of those people.

"I've never read my stuff to anyone." Shawn said, "Well, except for Pete." He explained.

Charlie nodded. "Do you two fuck around?"

Shawn's eyes widened. "What? No."

Charlie chuckled. "Did I hit a nerve?"

Shawn shook his head no. "No, I just...we are friends."

Charlie nodded.

Just then the waitress came over with his coffee. "Thanks, sweetie."

She blushed then walked away.

Shawn wanted to ask how many people he was fucking around with, but unfortunately, bold was not one of his characteristics. Gullible and sucker were two more that came to mind.

As he took a sip of his drink, his phone began to buzz with a continual line of messages.

Shawn just watched intently as Charlie managed all of the responses one after another. He just thought of another characteristic, sought after or desired. Unfortunately, it was by many. How could he be this jealous, already.

Charlie put his phone down and looked at Shawn directly. "Sorry about that."

"It's cool." He lied. He was seriously considering making his own list about himself just so he could write 'wuss'.

Just then his phone buzzed again. "Sorry." he said then read the text and responded.

Shawn was about to open up his journal, when Charlie stood up.

"Come on."

Shawn appeared confused.

Charlie held out his hand. "I'm headed to a session. I want you to join."

Shawn appeared wary. "A session?"

Charlie knelt before him and placed his hands, on Shawn's thighs.

Okay, that's it. I will go anywhere with him, he thought to himself. Damn him and his charm.

"Writing and jamming with this amazing writer/producer." He explained. "Thought you might be interested, you know...as a song writer and all."

Shawn's face lit up causing Charlie to chuckle. "You are adorable, Mendes."

Shawn squinted his eyes at him playfully, "How do you know my last name?"

Charlie smirked then pointed at his journal that said 'Property of Shawn Mendes'.

Shawn blushed in embarrassment.

Charlie stood up. "Are you in or out, Mendes?"

Shawn grabbed his beanie cap and slid it back on. "In, of course."

"That's my boy." Charlie said then took Shawn's hand and led him out of the café.

Not only is he trouble, Shawn thought...I am in trouble.