Chapter 25

"Look at the little stud muffin." Stokes said as he helped Charlie set up for his performance. "I think he has taken selfies with every female in this bar."

"Yup." Charlie said without glancing over.

Stokes knew something was up. "Even some men, too."

Charlie quickly glanced over and realized Stokes was just fucking with him. "Very funny."

"Are you okay?"

"Of course."

Shawn hugged him from behind. "Hey, baby."

Charlie pushed him off then glanced around.

Stokes stepped away. He did not want to get in the middle of this.

Shawn looked confused and hurt. "Charlie?"

"Come with me." He said sternly then headed for the side exit.

Once they were outside, Charlie faced him. "You can't behave that way in front of your fans."

"My what now?"

"Your fans, Mendes. They can't know about this thing between us."

Shawn smirked and raised his eyebrow. "So, there is a... 'thing'... between us?"

Charlie ran his fingers through his hair and shook his head. "Of course, there is."

Shawn smiled and stepped closer to him. "A thing...huh?"

Charlie pressed his lips together trying not to smile. "Stop it."

"Stop, what? ...The thing?"

Charlie threw his hands up. "Okay, that's enough."

Shawn pulled him into a hug. "I am just messing around. You are so adorable when you get all embarrassed."

"I am not embarrassed." He mumbled into Shawn's shoulder.

Shawn cupped his face and kissed his forehead. "Okay."

"All, I am saying is..."

"I get it, okay? No PDA."

Charlie nodded.

"What if we are in another country?"

Charlie looked confused. "It doesn't matter where we are. If we are in public...the thing is not a thing...got it?"

Shawn smiled, trying not to laugh.

"Why are you talking about other countries anyway? You leaving the country?"

"Well, not leaving, but visiting my family in Canada for the holidays."

Charlie immediately felt empty inside, but of course would not show it. "Oh, that is nice. For how long?"

"A week."

Charlie forced a smile.

"What do you usually do for the holidays?"

Charlie shrugged. "Depends, I guess. I try to move around a bit. Sometimes Stokes invites me to his sister's place or I have a drink with friends. Some years I watch 'It's a Wonderful Life' drinking egg nog in Santa pjs. One year I..."

"I want you to come home with me for Christmas." Shawn blurted out quickly before he lost his nerve.

Charlie swallowed hard. "What?"

Shawn grabbed his hand. "Please come home with me."

Charlie was frozen.

Shawn could sense his inhibition. "It doesn't have to be a big deal. Honestly, I just will miss you for a week. It is selfish of me really?"