Chapter 61

As Charlie told the story of what he had done to survive, Shawn simply listened as he held his hand and rubbed his thumb over it in comfort.

"It actually took me a while before I could tell Stokes what I had been doing." Charlie explained. "He was so upset with me, but he never made me feel bad about it."

Shawn continued to listen and occasionally would caress Charlie's head or cheek.

"Once we had a place of our own, Stokes worked really hard to make sure we both got a steady income."

Memory

"It's not much, but it is ours." Charlie said as he stood in the living room of their new apartment.

"The furniture is ours too?" Stokes asked.

Charlie nodded. "I struck a deal with the landlord."

Stokes looked concerned. "What sort of deal?"

Charlie immediately became defensive. "Why does it matter?"

Stokes took Charlie by the hand and walked him over to the couch. "You matter to me."

"And you to me. You are my family. You are EVERYTHING to me. Do you get it?"

Stokes became teary-eyed as his lip curled into a smile. "Of course, I do and that is why I would sleep on the floor and give up all this furniture if it meant that...I could protect you from..."

He wouldn't say it. He couldn't say it.

"You can relax. I told him I would help him in the office or with maintenance."

Stokes closed his eyes and shook his head. "Why do you have to be such a shit? Why?!"

"Why do you have to assume I that is ALL I can do?"

Stokes actually looked upset by that question. "Don't you EVER say that to me. I would NEVER think that about you...EVER...do you hear me?"

Charlie nodded slowly.

Stokes held his face. "I honestly do not know what I would do if anyone ever hurt you or if anything ever happened to you."

Charlie placed his hands over Stokes and removed them from his cheeks. "I am not going to...do that...anymore."

Stokes was afraid to look too hopeful. "Promise me."

"Why?"

"Because...you are priceless."

End of Memory

"In my life, there have only been two people that have made me feel like I am special and loveable. My mom and Stokes." He said still studying Shawn's face trying to read some sort of reaction.

This time he waited to see if Shawn would say anything.

He still said nothing and continued to gaze into his eyes. "Please say something, Shawn."

"I was listening."

Charlie started to become very anxious and insecure. He sat up a bit. "Okay, I am done. Time for you to talk."

"Well, thank you for telling me all of that. It could not have been easy."

Charlie felt a heaviness on his chest. He felt his defenses arising. "I want to know what you think."

"What I think?"

Charlie now looked angry. "Yes, what you think."

"Why do you care what I think?"