Chapter 8

Shawn was happy to be at work this afternoon. He needed a distraction from his incessant thoughts of Charlie and all that had occurred the other day. His job at 'The Mint' nightclub in LA was the perfect deal, given his dream to work in the music business as a songwriter. Here, he had the opportunity to work with different artists and help manage the show behind the scenes.

He did whatever was needed that night. This evening, he was helping out with the lighting.

While he was waiting for his coworker Todd to get the replacement bulb, he checked his phone. He was supposed to meet TJ and Pete out for drinks after the show. He was not feeling up to it, but was forcing himself. I'm sure Charlie is having a grand old time, he thought to himself.

Pete> heard anything?

Shawn appreciated Pete checking up on him after what had gone down with Charlie.

Shawn> not a word.

Pete> Dick

Shawn> No need for name calling.

"Shawnie, let's go bro." Todd said as he climbed up the ladder holding the bulb.

Shawn slipped his phone into his back pocket and got back to work.

During the show, Shawn happened to glance down at the ground while up in the lighting booth. He spotted Charlie at the bar and his heart sank. Charlie knew he worked here, but did not expect him to show up. In his fantasy, Charlie would show up and say he was the only one he wanted to be with. Clearly, that was not the case given the fact he hadn't heard from him in days.

Down on the floor, Charlie started asking around for Shawn.

"Shawn who?" one of the bartenders asked.

"Mendes."

The bartender shrugged. "What does he do?"

"Backstage stuff."

The bartender pointed over towards the door adjacent to the stage. "Try Bill, the manager."

Charlie smiled. "Thanks."

Up in the booth, Bill called in asking for Mendes.

"Tell Mendes to go on a break." Bill said.

Shawn looked puzzled. "I don't need a break, sir."

"You have a visitor. Take the god damn break. 10 minutes and that it it."

"Yes, sir." He said then quickly made his way down to the floor. He could not believe Charlie would go to this length to get his attention.

Charlie> please don't be mad, okay?

Shawn> where are you?

Charlie> out in the alley-side door

Shawn took a deep breath and then headed towards the side door.

When he opened it, there he was pacing in the alley. Looking as gorgeous as ever in tight black jeans with black sneakers, a white V-neck t-shirt and a jean jacket.

Charlie put both of his hands up as if to surrender. "First of all, thank you for agreeing to talk to me."

"What do you want, Charlie? I need to get back in there."

He took a step closer to Shawn and he immediately backed up. "Please don't come any closer."

Charlie appeared hurt by that request. "Okay, then. I just wanted to say that...I am sorry for...well...just being how I am I guess."

Shawn crossed his arms. "And how is that?"

"Scattered. Flirty. Wild."

Shawn looked puzzled. "Well, if you are those things, why are you apologizing for it."

Charlie let out a quiet chuckle. "Because somebody like that...can't possibly hold onto someone like you."

Shawn swallowed hard. "And, how am I?  He knew he was pushing it a bit, but he couldn't resist hearing what Charlie thought of him.

"Endearing, beautiful, loyal, compassionate, humble and I am hoping...forgiving."

Shawn hadn't even realized that his arms had unfolded and he had softened up a bit. This was exactly why he needed to stay away from Charlie and his charm.

Shawn looked down. "I am still not sure what you want from me, Charlie."

Charlie slowly took some steps closer to Shawn.

Shawn slowly lifted his head and looked directly into Charlie's eyes.

"I'm suggesting we...be friends."

Shawn looked confused. "Friends?"

Charlie nodded. "Yes. I mean I know you are special and I want you in my life."

"As a friend." Shawn said.

Charlie nodded. "I mean, I think you know how attracted to you I am, but I tend to fuck that type of thing up, but I happen to be a great friend."

Shawn turned away.

"Shawn, please?"

Shawn stopped and took a deep breath. He slowly turned to face him. "I don't know if...if I can."

"Is there anything I can do to change your mind?"

Yeah, he thought to himself. Want to be my boyfriend, not my friend. Want only me and nobody else. They did agree on something. He too did not want to lose him in his life.

"We can try it."

Charlie smiled so wide and placed his hand on his heart. "You almost gave me a heart attack, Mendes."

Shawn curled his lips into a smile. "I really do need to get back to work." He said then turned to head in.

"Wait."

Shawn turned to face him.

"Can we hug it out?"

Shawn placed his hand on his chin and rubbed it. "Hmmm? Can I trust that it will just be a hug?"

Charlie crossed his heart with his hand. "I just got you back in my life. I woudn't fuck it up."

"Okay, then."

Charlie stepped closer and pulled him into a nice bear hug. "Thank you for forgiving me." He said near Shawn's ear.

"No problem."

Charlie held on a bit longer than normal. "How long do friends hug for?"

Shawn chuckled. "Not this long."

"Are you sure?"

Shawn tried to push him off, but he wouldn't move. "Charlie."

"Is it awkward yet?"

Shawn laughed. "Charlie, come on."

Charlie finally let go. "Okay, okay."

"Goodnight." Shawn said then turned and walked to the door. With his hand on the doorknob he paused. Before he turned it, he looked over his shoulder. "The guys and I are going out for drinks after...I mean...if you want to come...you can."

Charlie nodded. "I might take you up on that."

Shawn wanted to smack himself. He just had absolutely no freakin' control. "I will text you the place."

Charlie nodded and waited for the door to close behind Shawn before he left.