"Well... It's worth it" she smiled while in her thoughts. "It's actually amazing, I felt like the happiest girl on this planet. You get these tingly sensations in your stomach an the whole world stops, making it feel like it's just you and your special someone."

"Wait," I interrupted. "Who were you in love with?"

The last time I recalled Shantel ever dating someone was in the 6th grade. His name was Clay Sommers and he was the geekiest kid ever. Had the whole glasses and braces thing too. Clay was really sweet to Shantel though, always sliding notes in her locker. It was a true 'popular girl and nerd' middle school love story. Hesitantly, she let out an exhale. Whoever it was, she felt like I wouldn't approve. "Sebastian"

Holy shit, if she's about to say who I think he is... "Sebastian... who?"

"Sebastian Cadwell"

Oh.

Shocked, "Why didn't you tell me?"

There wasn't even the slightest bit of furiousness in me. It was more of a shocker because I thought we were all like siblings towards one another. Never would have suspected my best friend falling for my brother. I guess I should of suspected it though, he was always so nice to her and asked quite frequently if she needed a ride home. My suspicions never arose due to most of the family always getting worried over Shantel and her household.

"I knew you were against being held down and I thought you would of gotten even more upset that I was in love with your brother." She started to panic, feeling as if our relationship was at stake.

Assuring her, "That's fucking stupid, I could care less about that. He's a great guy and you're a great girl so I wouldn't of cared."

"Well, it doesn't really matter because we aren't together anymore." She took another breath of her cigarette.

"Why?"

"For the same reason you won't give that girl of yours a chance, I was scared of feeling too much." There was a crack in her voice and I could tell this was a sensitive topic for her. "He told me he loved me a few months ago, and I chickened the fuck out. I ignored every text he would send me or any encounter with him. The only time where things would feel sane was when I'd come over to see you."

First off, it wasn't that I hadn't gave Kiersten a chance. It was more like I never planned on anything to happen with her and therefore she didn't cross my mind like that.

She kept talking as if her past relationship happened ages ago. "How long have you guys been hiding form me?"

"A year."

So for a whole entire year, while I was out and about fucking, I figured my best friend was too. But, instead she was playing steady with my brother. Yes, Sebastian was definitely not the kind of guy to have sex right then and there. Based off of his looks as well as actions, I'd say he waits at least a month before fucking a girl. Everything was starting to make sense to me now, how he never brought home any girls. It's because I'd bring his bitch home.

The school bell rang, indicating it was time to move along to our next class. I had assured I wasn't upset before parting away from my best friend. What I wasn't excited to do was sit though my next 3 classes bored out of my fucking mind. To pass the time, I did my usual laps and listened to music under my hoodie. Here's a little tip, leave the wire under your sweatshirt and pull the ear pieces out through the neck hole. Then, have your hair down and put your earbuds in. Viola, that's how I get away with ignoring all the annoying ass teachers.

My last period class had went by the slowest. I used to love art because I got to see Kiersten in her joyful place. It was obvious how much she loved to express herself in any means like drawing, painting, playing instruments, or her sports. Nevertheless, she didn't even look at me anymore the way she used to; her curiosity was fading away. I couldn't help but feel miserable watching her be happy while I sat here in frustration. She still had those moments where she'd say something and people didn't understand because of her background, but I did. I understood what she meant when she'd say random words or had her moments when she didn't want to talk to anyone. It fucking drove me crazy how she pretended I didn't exist.

I even tried to make noticeable scenes in class so she'd take interest again, trying to be even more obnoxious than I usually was. There was this one time where she made eye contact with me again and I was convinced my plan had worked. However, that hope faded away with time. I came into class extremely late demanding attention from everyone... and on my snapchats she'd watch, I'd add in girls, hoping it would make her jealous. But, nothing was fucking working. To be honest, I don't know why I even tried. Glancing over at her table, she was busy sketching away. Her hair covered her face the way it usually did and I was tempted to push it back for her, like how I did at her party last month.

There was a reason as to why I memorized her face up close and it was because I knew I'd screw up somehow. I didn't expect my screw up to happen as early as it did, but this was exactly why I didn't want to feel any type of thing towards her. It complicated my thoughts and made me someone I wasn't.

Her hand struggled to hold the pencil for any much longer, dropping it onto the floor. She looked frustrated as she let out a whimper. Cradling her hand, no one in our class understood. I got out of my seat to head over to hers.

"Here you go" I said inaudibly while handing her my own pencil I hadn't used.

She looked up at me, her eyes were grayish blue. They matched her outfit which was a light blue crop top and gray jean shorts. Her face seemed sad, sending me a shy smile. I felt my stomach turn at the way she was looking at me. There was occurring feelings of guilt, remorse, and mistakes. Shitty is exactly how I'd describe everything happening in my body.

Kiersten pulled her eyes away from mine, taking the pencil slowly as she muffled a "Thank you".

And that was it, a 'thank you'.

I grabbed my things and left the class before the bell had even rung. There was just a need for me to go on a drive or some shit, anything to get her off of my mind. I needed her gone, away from my intellectual thoughts.

| End of Chapter Fourteen |

[A/N]: I'm noticing all those dating comments and it's super cute... but I wrote this as if I was in still in high school were we'd have less complexity than there is now. We are both incredibly different people; hence why it's kinda an alternate universe on if there were different circumstances. Anyways, still cute though. I mean, you never know. Maybe we are dating 🤷‍♀️💕 - Melody

Instagram: melodyautumn.13
Tik Tok: melody.autumn

© 2022 Wattpad