Day #57

Savannah

"He beat me, officer!" Jasmine yelled as the police had approached us.

"Don't you dare lie like that, bitch." I said looking at her.

"Do you see my face?!"

"Do you see his?! Do you see his arms?"

"Either way this goes, Savannah, he's going to jail. Look around. We're surrounded by women who witnessed a man putting his hands on me. It's over. You lost."

I gave her a weird look as if this was her goal. To push Chris to his limit in public and have him arrested. But then again who would expect Chris to lose his temper the way he did. I did not understand what her goal was in this situation.

"If I didn't have a child to take care of, your ass would be done. I swear to God." I said getting in her face.

"Go ahead. Lose your self-control just like your little boyfriend. Put your hands on me. I want you to."

"What the fuck was your goal with him? Confront him about old shit or ruin his life?"

"Maybe ruin his life. Or maybe I just wanted to ruin yours." She whispered to me. It took all I had to not knock the bitch out.

"Ladies." One of the police officers said finally making it up to us. I glanced over at Chris and he seemed confused or shocked about what had just happened.

It didn't take long before the officers had arrested both Jasmine and Chris. I saw it coming but I didn't know how to react or what to do. I felt scared.

"Now I don't care what you think the best thing to do to get out this situation is. But you tell the truth, Chris. That's it. I promise on my half, I'm going to get you out as soon as possible, baby." I said to Chris before they put him in the back of the police car.

"I love you." He mouthed to me through the window. I sighed watching them drive away.

"What the hell is going to happen?" Jocelyn yelled from the car. I walked over to her shaking my head.

"A black man who put his hands on a woman. Chris is going to be doing some time no matter what." I said.

"We could bail him out."

"With what money? All the money set aside is going to this wedding. And we're not a hundred percent certain that he'll be able to be bailed."

"This is crazy. I can't believe that just happened."

"Me neither."

"Why didn't you jump in, Sav?"

"We're at a park full of people. Now imagine me jumping in, I would've been arrested right with them and then Audrey would have neither one of her parents for who knows how long. I wanted to stick up for my man but I needed to think about our child in that moment. It was one or the other."

"Yeah I understand, that does make sense."

"I don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do, girl."

"Okay, just get the baby home right now. I'm sure the cops will call you as soon as possible." 

"You're right, you're right." I took a deep breath and got in the driver's seat.

"It's all gonna be okay, Sav. I promise." I drove Jocelyn home and then made my way back home with Audrey. 

"Hey, baby girl." I smiled at Audrey as I took her out of her car seat. It felt weird walking in the house without Chris. It felt like half of me was missing and I didn't know how long it was going to be until I felt whole again.