Day #12

Savannah Underwood

I rushed into my office and shut the door quickly. My phone was going off in my pocket and I pulled it out to answer in privacy. It was Chris.

"Chris, you better have a good reason to be blowing up my phone while I'm at work!"

"I do actually. I just got a call from Dr. Tinsley. The results are in but I told her not to tell me because I wanted you to be there."

"Well I'm at work, baby."

"I know but this, this is some serious news. I thought maybe your boss would let you leave for an hour or two."

"My boss wouldn't even let me leave work when they towed my car one day."

"It's worth trying. This is really important to me, Savannah."

"This is really important to me too. Can't we do a three-way or something?"

"I want it to be face to face." I sighed and looked at the time.

"I could try. But I can't make any promises he'll say yes."

"If he doesn't say yes, then we'll do a three-way. Or we'll wait. When do you get off?"

"Whenever I want after four."

"Well when do you plan on leaving?"

"Whenever I get tired." He smacked his teeth.

"Just go ask your boss. Call me back after he gives you an answer."

"All right." I hung up the phone and took a deep breath walking towards Mike's office.

I really hate asking for things. Things like getting raises, promotions, and all that. He never gives me the time of day which is why I rarely ask him for things. But I don't know, maybe if I tell him the situation he'll let me be there for Chris.

"Hey." I said walking into his office with a smile. He looked at me and squinted his eyes.

"There's only one reason you'd come into my office with a smile on your face. What do you want, Underwood?"

"What makes you think I want something?" I asked shutting the doors.

"Because I'm not stupid." I sighed and walked up to him.

"Is it all right if I leave work early? Or for an hour or two?" He chuckled.

"Are you seriously asking me this? Is this a joke?"

"No, it's not."

"The answer is no. You know you can't leave work early. There's too much that's needed to be done."

"Wait, you don't even know why yet." I said. He rolled his eyes.

"It's still going to be a no. But if explaining it makes you happy, then go for it."

This is exactly why I don't ask for things.

"My boyfriend got tested for something-"

"Hold up. You have a boyfriend now? Since when?" He laughed kicking his feet up on the desk.

"Since last week."

"I didn't think anyone would actually be willing to tolerate you, Underwood. I'll pray for them." He laughed some more and I clenched my jaw.

His slick comments and dumb ass assumptions were really pissing me off. I was trying my hardest not to say anything smart.

"Anyway. He got tested for something and the results came back today. He wants me to be there and I want to be there. This is very important to the both of us."