Day #1

Savannah Underwood

"Savannah." My co-worker Rachel said coming into my office. I sighed.

"Please don't tell me it's Mike. He knows I'm almost on my break."

Mike is my boss. I work at a stockbroker company and I am his personal assistant. I hate working for him, honestly. But I get paid 50 dollars an hour so it's worth it.

"It is him. He needs you in his office now." I rolled my eyes leaning back in my chair. It's a never ending fight.

"What, Mike?" I walked into his office closing the doors behind me.

"I have some files for you to look over. All the information in this folder is to be sorted out by last name. I need that done by four." He said tossing a stack of papers in my hands.

"What? My break is now. No way can I have it done by four and still be able to go on break." He looked at me and smiled.

"Then I guess you better get to it right?" I sighed.

"You're such a terrible person sometimes."

"A terrible person who pays you. Get to it, Underwood." He pointed to the door and I left with the damn papers.

I didn't ask to be a well known stockbroker's assistant. The job just sort of came to me. And I was excited about it at first but little did I know, it'd be a pain in my ass everyday.

"Hey." Someone said walking into my room. I looked up to James. James is also one of my co-workers.

"Hi." I said with a smile.

"Ready for lunch? I have a great place where we can head out to today."

"I can't. Mike is uh, being Mike again. He gave me some more work that needs to be done."

"Dang. Maybe tomorrow then."

"That'd nice." I stood up to walk him back out my office.

"I'll see you later, Savannah." He gave me a long hug before slightly pulling away and looking at me.

"Um, yeah bye." I said awkwardly.

"You know I like you right? You mean a lot to me." He admitted.

"No, actually I didn't know that."

"I just felt like you should know. I love working with you. When it was your first day here and I met you, it was the best day of my life."

"Uh, yeah. That's ... that's great, James." I tried backing away from him when his arms fell to my waist and he leaned in to kiss me. "James. C'mon now." I mumbled turning my head.

"Sorry. I'll leave you alone. Bye, Savannah." With that, he walked out of my office quickly.

"Ugh." I sighed and put my face in my hands. That's probably the last time he'll ever talk to me.

Like Mike wanted, I got the files done by four and gave them to him. Then after finishing up my work for the day, I finally left the building around ten at night. I was tired as hell.

"Hey, you all right?" Jocelyn asked over the phone as I drove.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just about to go check up at the apartment."

"Okay. How was work?"

"Same. I know I'm about to be rolling in this cash though. I got eleven hours done today."

"Damn. Keep it up." I chuckled pulling up into the parking lot.

"It's tiring though. But I'm here so I'll call you tomorrow. I still have to stop at his parents' house."

"All right. Love you, Sav."

"Love you too."

I sighed grabbing my purse and stepping out the car. I was at Chris's house to take care of the bills and make sure everything was okay.

No, he's still not back. It's been a long year and a half without him. My life seems so empty now and I don't have the strength and time to move on from what we had. He's made too much of an imprint on me to be able to do that so soon.

Chris is also fine. His parents update me on everything going on with him, daily. I couldn't live if they didn't. I'd talk to him myself too, but we left off on such a bad note. I don't have the courage to yet. Like he'd even want to talk to me.

"Hey, Mary." I said over the phone looking through the mail I had just taken inside with me.

"Savannah, how are you?"

"I'm fine. Just left work."

"Oh, has everything been going good there?"

"Yeah it's good. How's Chris? Is he okay?" I paused what I was doing to give my full attention to Mary.

"He's very happy. I think he's really enjoying his time in the Air Force." I nodded my head.

"That's what I wanted. Anything new?"

"He told me he's met someone. He said they've been taking for at least a month now. He really likes this girl."

"Oh." I said in disappointment. That is not what I wanted to hear.

"I hope that didn't offend you, Savannah. It's just, it's been well over a year now since you guys broke up. Not only that but we all thought you were done with Chris."

"No, it's fine. I just didn't think he'd move on so quickly. After everything that happened."

"I don't think he's really moved on. I think he's trying to find someone to keep his mind off of you. He really misses you."

"Yeah well, if he missed me he wouldn't be messing around with other women. But it's okay. I'll definitely take note on that."

"Savannah, maybe you should talk to him."

"I can't. I'm not ready and hearing that really didn't help either."

"Just think about it okay? I think you two talking would really ease things up between you guys."

"I already made up my mind. Good night, Mary." She sighed.

"Good night."

I hung up the phone and threw it on the table in frustration. All this time I thought Chris was stuck in the same position I was: Having a hard time to move on from our relationship. I guess not.

I stopped working on his mail and fell down on the bed in his room. I never really had a problem laying in his bed even after the breakup. I actually enjoyed being here, just thinking and looking back on all the memories we made in this apartment.

I didn't bawl, but there were always tears that fell from my eyes on their own some nights when I stayed here. I really missed Chris and I really needed him. But after hearing what Mary said, I don't know anymore.